Gomantang Caves and Kinabatang River


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia
February 11th 2014
Published: February 11th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Orang UtanOrang UtanOrang Utan

Our first really wild one. Photo taken by Sian
On 7 February 2014 we visited the Gomantang Caves made famous by David Attenborough's trip there some years ago. Swiftlet nests are collected from the roof of the cave and sold as a Chinese delicacy. Only four families have the right to collect the nests which they do by hoisting one of their number to the roof of the cave on ropes and bamboo frames who then scrapes the nests off the roof using something that looks like a child's fishing net made of bamboo. Should he fall it would probably mean death or at the very least a dunking in the bat and swiftlet guano that covers the cave floor and is of an unknown depth and crawling with cockroaches. We walked around the cave on a raised walkway and the smell of the guano was not too bad and we have had bathrooms with more cockroaches than we saw in the cave. It would be great to see the actual harvesting of the nests but that is a rare event.

We stayed for two days at the Myne Resort which is situated on the banks of the Kinabatang River, a wide mud coloured river which is the third
orang utanorang utanorang utan

Same one as in previous picture now appearing to pose for us!!
longest in Borneo. This place is fantastic with comfortable rooms, OK showers and marvellous food.

Animal and bird spotting trips are conducted by boat and we also did some short walks into the rain forest for which leech socks were required. Sian got 'leeched' but fortunately it was on her trousers and discovered just as it was making its way into her pocket! The leeches wave about attached to leaves and trees near tracks and jump on any passing warm blooded animals.

We saw an array of animals and it was so great to see really wild birds and animals in their natural habitat.

Only just back in the land of WiFi so more to follow soon!


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

Crested Serpent EagleCrested Serpent Eagle
Crested Serpent Eagle

Spotted by me, photographed by Sian
Female proboscises monkeyFemale proboscises monkey
Female proboscises monkey

Part of a hareem we came across
Jungle treeJungle tree
Jungle tree

You can just see the orang Utah crossing (2 horizontal ropes) put up by an NGO to encourage movement as they cannot swim
leechleech
leech

Just a very little one


Tot: 0.165s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 14; qc: 47; dbt: 0.085s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb