From Chilled Out to Party Central


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia
December 10th 2010
Published: December 10th 2010
Edit Blog Post

After the disappointment of Indonesia, I arrived with Daniel (ze German) in Kuala Lumpur with a renewed hope that Asia was going to deliver. We planned to draw a line under the last 3 weeks, be positive and look ahead…this lasted all of 3 days!

We arrived early on a Saturday morning, checked into a the Explorers Guesthouse, which turned out to be one of the best places I have stayed all trip and proceeded to make the most of the day looking around. A mate from home was joining me the following week so I didn’t want to tick too many of the tourist boxes before he arrived. Daniel and I wandered aimlessly, taking in the new city and getting our bearings. We stumbled across the Petronas Towers, which are probably KL’s most popular attraction - the tallest connected twin towers in the world. This part of town is known as KLCC and at the base of the twin towers there is a massive westernised shopping complex. We both needed a few bits so spent a couple of hours there before returning to the hostel. The plan for the evening was simple - get dressed up, have a nice meal and then hit the bars and clubs. It was our treat to ourselves for the previous 3 weeks, however it didn’t materialise as planned. We put a shirt on, had an upmarket dinner, drank 2 beers…and then crashed and burnt. We were both so tired from being up at 3a.m. for our flight that we ran out of steam all too quickly, returning to the hostel for an early night! Hardcore!

We still had over a week to wait for Bear (my mate) to arrive so decided to head south on the Monday to Port Dickson, on the advice of the staff from the hostel. They had told us that the east coast was in the middle of the monsoon season, which quashed our original plans and decided to accept their advice. What they hadn’t been able to guarantee was the weather in Port Dickson! It rained torrentially for the 2 hour train and bus ride and although had brightened up when we got there, neither of us had a great feeling about the place. We were unsure what to do, so headed to KFC and asked the Colonel for some advice. Things became clearer after 2 zinger
Finished...Finished...Finished...

...5.5 hrs later
tower burgers and we boarded the bus back to KL! I told Daniel that I needed a break from travelling and that I planned to spend the next week waiting for Bear, doing absolutely zero. He was happy with that; in fact, he had had enough of Asia and decided to finish his trip with a 6 week jaunt to South Africa on safari! I say finish his trip - he is due back in Bangkok on the 21st December and will spend Christmas and New Year together before he flies back to the land of sauerkraut, lederhosen and Boris Becker at the end of January.

I spent the next week doing precisely as planned…nothing…apart from the odd walk around town, catching up with email, talking on Skype and developing a nasty addiction to Facebook! I also got another tattoo! I have wanted another one for a while, so I found a couple of reputable artists, had a chat about the design and decided who had grasped my idea best. 2 days later and after 5.5 hours of laying flat on my stomach with my head jammed against the wall, a ship in a thunder storm is permanently inked down the back of my right calf. Mum loves it already!

On Tuesday 2nd November, Bear arrived in KL and I met him at the airport. He’s a mate from uni, so I’ve known him for the best part of 7 years and have been on a couple of holidays with him before. This time he is travelling for 6 months on his own and KL was his first stop, so nicely coincided with me being there! He is called Bear for a reason, or at least he was. Ever since I have known him he had always been a rather sizeable chap, however in the time I have been away, he has managed to lose the weight of an average female! I had heard how well he was doing from people at home, but couldn’t believe my eyes when he walked through arrivals! To say he is a new bloke would be an understatement, he really is, and the confidence to boot tells its own story. He has completely turned his life around and should be very proud of himself. We do however need to think of a new nickname for him asap!

The following day we went to the Batu Caves, a system of three caves, one of which contains a Hindu shrine and requires the climbing of 272 steps to reach it. It is easy to get to on the MTR (subway) from KL Central and doesn‘t take long to knock off, which is a good thing as they really aren‘t that impressive. I’m sure if I was a Hindu then I would appreciate them a lot more, but to me they were just another place of worship where locals can make money out of tourists by selling them worthless tat. Rant over!

The next morning we were up and out at ridiculous o’clock, waiting in line at the Petronas Towers to buy a ticket for the sky bridge on the 41st floor and the viewing deck on the 86th. We bought our tickets just before 09:00 but had to wait till 11:15 before we could go up, so it was back to the hostel to pack our bags as we were going to Melaka that afternoon. I was finally leaving KL! The towers were pretty impressive, especially the video at the beginning, detailing how the design came about and how construction was achieved. The views from the 86th floor were pretty cool…and for those of you with a terrible concept of height, I can assure you that it‘s pretty bloody high!

We arrived in Melaka later that afternoon after a straightforward bus trip. We eventually found the accommodation we had booked - Sonny’s Inn - and can safely say its one of the more ‘basic’ places I have stayed. Thankfully it was only for a night…and it was cheap! We did what we usually do, had a wander around in the evening sunshine and tried to familiarise ourselves with it. We had no agenda for Melaka, but had been told it was a nice place to spend a couple of days walking around. Rich and Dawn, a lovely couple I had met at the Explorers Guesthouse (from Leigh, and Rich used to teach at Fitz) had told me about this amazing Pakistani restaurant that I really should try. Not being shy when it comes to eating curry, this was the thing I was most looking forward to about Melaka…and it didn’t disappoint! It was a little way out of town, but realised it must be popular when everyone we asked knew exactly where Pak Putra was located. We were all hungry and ordered more than we really needed, but made light work of the tandoori chicken, lamb and beef curry, dahl and naan breads. It was a real contender for the best curry I have ever had (and I‘ve had a few), totally hit the spot and cost little over £12! Go here if in Melaka!

I would just like to emphasise what a nice couple Rich and Dawn are and it was a shame that we didn't get to spend any longer together than the couple of days at the Explorers. We both knew a lot of the same people from home and it turns out that Rich actually played in the age group above me for our local football team when we were younger and Dawn works with a girl who lives down my road at home. We have already agreed to go to a pub we all know when we're back and i think we are in the making of a long and happy friendship together! (If you are both reading this when i thought you were in outback Australia then i hope you approve - i admit that the first draft was far too shy on column inches for what you really deserved!). Miss you both...

On the way back we happened to drop into an establishment that served beer! It was lucky we did, as no sooner had the first jug arrived but it began to rain in the only way Asian rain knows how - hard, fast and very wet! We thanked our lucky stars for our collective foresight and continued ordering jugs whilst the rain was pouring. Ze German had taken off at an electrifying pace, reminiscent of Michael Schumacher in his glory years. Every time Bear and I looked up, Germany had finished his glass and was eagerly getting the attention of the waitress to bring over another. I was concerned, the new stream lined Bear was concerned, and Bears concern concerned me greatly! Bear used to be able to drink gallons - literally - before feeling any effect, but I could see he was heading to places he didn’t want to go - the lad was struggling. Anyway, this behaviour carried on for another round of jugs, with Germany trying to slip a double vodka in my beer whilst I was in the toilet. I don’t approve of foul play, but as the shot was sitting in front of me and not wanting to be outdone by ze German, I sent it south and tried my best not to grimace. Bear tried the same trick on ze german when he visited the little girls room, only for him to return as the waitress was bringing over the surprise and Bear had to do as required! Thankfully Germany began to slow down and as the night wore on England came into their own. Bear did what Bear does best, found some of his old form and showed him exactly who was boss; I followed as best I could with a dopey grin and ze german began mumbling some incoherent language that was neither English, German or gibberish. I likened the night to Schumacher qualifying in pole, dominating the race as expected and then crashing out with only a few laps to go, allowing the English pairing of a white Lewis Hamilton and Jenson Button through to claim a famous English one two. The Germans fate was compounded whilst on the way home, when he tried to jump in a puddle - as all mature 29 year olds do - to splash the 2 Englishmen, only for him to lose his footing, land on his arse and completely soak the only pair of shorts he had brought on the trip. Cue God Save the Queen…

Next morning we were up and out relatively early, had some breakfast and set off into the heart of town. I had heard that if you were a massive museum buff then Melaka could keep you entertained for a couple of days, otherwise you could probably spend a day walking around the old quarter and surrounding area and be pleasantly satisfied. We certainly fell into the latter category and found we had seen quite a lot by lunch time, walking through the old quarter which consists of a number of Dutch colonial buildings, down various lanes and criss-crossing the river a number of times. It was a picturesque little place, but was red hot and we were sweaty and uncomfortable. The bus back to KL with its air con was calling, so we took a taxi to the bus station and within 45 minutes were heading back towards the Explorers Guesthouse! We were always going
Feed Me...Feed Me...Feed Me...

...awesome curry at Pak Putra
back to KL as we wanted to be there for the Diwali - the Indian festival of light and colour - which was happening that day in Little India. We got back to KL, checked back into the hostel, freshened up and made our way to Little India by about 18:00, only to find out that whatever celebrations were happening, had already happened and we were well and truly too late! Should have stayed in Melaka for another curry!

Germany left for South Africa and the next day, mine and Bears mate Bryan arrived in KL. I had known he was coming for about 4 weeks, but Bry had decided to keep it a surprise from Bear, which had the desired affect when he walked into the hostel. Bry also had another surprise, bringing with him 2 of his mates from home. Bruce who I had met a few times before; a big man with a personality to match, and Charlie who I had only met once before. He will be referred to as Bald Monkey for the remainder of this blog - see picture! After getting the pleasantries out of the way, we went to find food before
Uncle Albert...Uncle Albert...Uncle Albert...

...he was there
returning to the boys’ hotel - the Hilton - where they had checked in at 05:00 in order to catch up on some sleep, a plan that never really came to fruition. Everyone was pretty excited, so we proceeded to do what 5 excitable friends like doing most and had a few quiet brews on the swimming pool level that overlooked KL…with an overcast sky and light drizzle to accompany us! The afternoon turned into evening quite quickly and before we knew it we were on the dance floor of the reggae bar, throwing some rather indiscriminate shapes. Bryan pulled…a miniature Asian man…and was nice to know he hadn’t changed in the 10 months I had not seen him.

The next couple of days were spent showing them the ’sights’ of KL, which didn’t take long - the 3 of them aren’t exactly culture hungry. We had a few more drinks at a couple of sky bars around town and then planned to leave KL for Penang on Tuesday morning, meeting up with another mate, Rich, who I have known since primary school, and his girlfriend Colette. Bear and I pulled the budget conscious traveller card and piked around midnight, leaving the holiday makers at a rather ‘salubrious’ looking establishment, finally getting to bed around 03:00. The public bus to the terminal left at 08:30 and the boys were in surprisingly good spirits for the early start, or at least they were until they got on the bus and had to stand for the 35 minute ride. Bryan faired worst of the lot and after about 10 minutes proceeded to relinquish his 2 slices of toast into his jumper and over some poor woman sat beneath him. Knowing Bryan and his hopeless bodily functions as well as I do, this was no surprise to me and as sorry as I felt for the lady, I couldn’t help looking at his highly embarrassed white face and crack up laughing. It could only have happened to him! Bald Monkey also struggled with the initial trip, but what happened to him should not be disclosed on here!

We arrived in Penang 5 hours later and without further incident, meeting Rich and Col at a hostel. It was great to see them both, especially Rich who I have shared many a good moment with in the past. I dumped my bag in my room and then guess what, I had a beer with them both and caught up on their trip so far - it was good to be in his company again. The group now consisted of 7 and all hit it off straight away as I knew they would, a good mix of personalities that were going to serve us well over the next 10 days! We had some dinner at a local food court which was very nice before finding another reggae bar and drinking until the wee hours. The next morning we ate some amazing street food which helped the hangover and walked the streets of Penang for the next few hours, taking in their little India, the port and the old fort. It was a hot day and not a great deal to see, so we opted for a free tour of the city on an air conditioned bus, the intrepid explorers we are!

The 11th of November saw the 7 of us head to Langkawi, an island off of the north west coast of Malaysia, where we had planned to have a 10 day ‘holiday’. We arrived, got a taxi to Cenang (the popular beach
Bear Man at his bestBear Man at his bestBear Man at his best

Form is temporary, class is permanent
area), found the most basic accommodation, dumped our stuff and headed straight for the beach, which rates as one of the best I have been to (and that’s now quite I few). We found a suitable patch of sand in front of Bryan, Bruce and Bald Monkeys accommodation - the holiday makers opting for slightly higher living standards than the travellers - which coincidentally happened to be next to the liveliest bar on the beach, another reggae bar. The rest of the afternoon was spent consuming cans of Tiger, playing ‘catch’ (Bryan took one of the best catches I have ever witnessed) or football and wallowing in the shallows. The place had a really good vibe and everyone was in high spirits. That night we had a delicious traditional Malaysian meal, headed back to the bar for refreshments and listened to the resident band turn out some pretty good covers, reggae style of course. A good crowd had gathered and it wasn’t long before people were up and dancing. The party for us didn’t finish at 01:00 when the bar closed; we found another venue - Eagle Rock - only too obliging to have 7 pissed idiots take over their dance floor and spend their hard earned pounds. In fact, apart from about 20 local, we had the place to ourselves, although at the time I would have sworn it was full. We had a great time, laughed all night and eventually got to bed around late morning!

This was pretty much the blueprint for the next 5 days, however from the Friday evening we were graced with the presence of Alex ’lock up your daughters’ Gotch, another great mate from home. The group was now complete and what Alex lacks in height, he more than makes up for in confidence and humour. He is a funny fella and had us in stitches straight away. Strangely, it was the first time my mates from home had had met my uni mates, but the group gelled seamlessly and banter was being traded left, right and centre. Col being the only girl gave more than her fair share and was loving it just as much as the rest of us. She was joined a day or so later by 3 girls we had got chatting to during the evening which brought a balance to the group. It gave me a great
Sleeping Beauty...Sleeping Beauty...Sleeping Beauty...

...complete with manly sleeping sheet! Cheers Germany
chance to get to know Bruce and Bald Monkey better and by the end of the week it was as though we had been mates for years - both top lads. Everyone felt the same and a reunion is planned for next June when Rich and Col get back. That night was just as raucous as the previous, except we replaced Eagle Rock with the Sand Bar Club and this time the place was packed solid with a good mix of tourists and locals. Another blinding night!

And so the pattern continued for the next 3 days. I’m sure to an outsider we looked like your typical Brits abroad, however we were non offensive and just having fun. We even had some serious conversations along the way, including how sorry we felt for Muslim women having to wear burkha’s, but especially at the beach. Of course this is only opinion and certainly not meant to offend anyone, but we felt it highly unfortunate for them. In the west, fashion is a statement of personality, yet in their religion it seems the women are virtually invisible, even though its obvious they are there. I have never spoken to a Muslim women to gauge her opinion, but to us it seemed ever so archaic. Having said all of that, it was still highly amusing seeing them come into land from a parasailing trip - flying ninja - ka pow.

The highlights of the 10 days are as follows:
- Seeing my mates - obvious - but made me realise what a great bunch I have. Cant wait to see the rest of them in April!
- The sunsets…best I have seen since I have been away. I’m sure we ruined some people’s photos with our slightly homosexual behaviour, but we all thought the pics were pretty good!
- The beach was amazing - busy enough without ever feeling overcrowded. Good number of bars, restaurants and outlets offering water sports.
- The way the group got on - non stop banter, non stop laughter
- Having a 5 minute conversation with a massive Russian bloke before realising that I speak no Russian and he understands no English!
- Bryan, after having one of the girls cling to him all night (against his will), referred to it the next day as ‘hog-sitting’
- Bruce
- Bald Monkey

And the lowlights:
- The 3 day hangover that ensued. I actually thought my organs were going to explode at one point.
- Listening to Alex tell the group that I once cried after falling off my bike - total bullshit.
- Listening to Alex tell the group that I once, in retaliation to something, threw a leaf at him - total bullshit.
- Receiving the nickname LSC, which stand for Large Slow Clown. Charming.
- Getting burgled by the weirdest thieves known to man. They took an iPhone with a cracked screen, its charger, 2 cameras that were circa 1991 and a Nokia 3210 complete with Snake, but left a £700 camera that was lying on the floor, £300 cash in an open bag and 2 lap tops! Honestly not an insurance scam!
- Saying goodbye to everyone and being back on my own. This could easily be a highlight too!

In all seriousness, Langkawi was everything I was hoping for and much more. It was a beautiful place and would certainly not hesitate in going back. Seeing my mates again was brilliant and reminded me how important great mates are - I have a feeling April and May next year could be messy…







Additional photos below
Photos: 45, Displayed: 37


Advertisement



10th December 2010

Great times
Having a Bloody good time, I can tell.

Tot: 0.269s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 13; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0711s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb