Week 1


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia
June 22nd 2010
Published: June 22nd 2010
Edit Blog Post

Week 1....

If had an absolutely awesome first week!

Got into KL to extremely hot but very cloudy weather. After having a lovely back alley Chinese for about the price of £3 we got an early night cos jet lag was setting in. The next day we decided cos we were cheap skates that we would just look around the city. Gotta love a bit of sight seeing. So we went to the petronas twin towers and the KLCC parks. These malaysians know how to make a park. swimming pools, playgrounds, huge fountains. Awesome!

That night we had some more lush chinese food and went to a couple of bars. Food is cheap as but beer not so much unfortunately. At this point I should comment on the fact that we stayed up until 430 to watch the England match but it was so dire that it doesn't deserve my time.

Next day we moved straight on to Cameron Highlands. these are a set of mountains that have many towns and villages dotted around and where they grow plenty of tea plantations. From here on in our trip got extremely interesting!

After emailing the woman from our hostel who confirmed that we would be travelling up there in a A/C jeep, we waited in KL for a ride. half and hour late and just as we are starting to panic that no one is turning up, a beaten up old minibus arrives full of people. After assuring us that we can all fit in this vehicle we squeeze in and no air con! That's the least of our worries as this driver is a nutter. After driving the motorways for about 3 hours we start to climb on very thin mountainous roads. Our driver insists on overtaking every car he comes across. Hilarious! A few close shaves but we are still alive to tell the tale! In cameron highlands we stayed in a place called tanah rata which is a charming little placein the middle of the mountains we stated in a hippy little place and met loads of cool people. On the first night we found a really cool Indian resturant where you get a banana leaf buffet. This consists of a banana leaf with a huge variety of different curries, tandoori chicken, naan bread, rice and poppadoms (refillable) for the extortionate price of £1.50! And being in Malaysia it seemed only right to eat it all with my hands!

The next day me and kat went to the tea plantation while ant and belle went for a hike! We went in the factory and best of all, got to drink a nice cup of brew mmmmmm! When we got back we also went for a hike in search of a waterfall but seeing as the only ones we could find were extremely muddy we opted out of the swim!

We decided that because Cameron Highlands was so cool, we'd stay another night so the next day we got up and decided we'd go to a strawberry plantation. We didn't like having to pay the massive amount of £1 for a taxi ride so we decided to hitch hike to the next town. Surprisingly, it's well easy in Malaysia and all the people are really nice! Once we'd been to the strawberry farm and had scones and tea and a strawberry milkshake we thought it was time to hitch a ride home again but just as we left the farm the heavens opened! In England it rains a lot, but this was real rain! So we stood at the side of the road for about 10 mins in a tropical thunderstorm and then a nice man picked us up. This man took us back home and then if that wasn't enough, gave the girls some flowers that he had just picked up the mountain! What a gent (perve!)

Anyway after getting up early in the morning and getting another minibus back down the mountain ( much more calming than the way up!), I am now in penang and we are soon to fly up to Thailand to meet matt kerr and natalie marsh! Good times!

For my family, I am absolutely fine, having a great time and after a week of eating local foods and drink, still have not had the need to crack the immodium out!

Bye



Advertisement



24th June 2010

Loving this ... and glad you are having a blast!! Enjoy it!! Big hugs to you (and Kat of course!) xx

Tot: 0.24s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0397s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb