Diving and Mount Kinabalu


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia
April 23rd 2006
Published: April 3rd 2006
Edit Blog Post

Sunset in KKSunset in KKSunset in KK

copyright:Zulfikri2006
Having a blast in Kota Kinabalu

We recently had one of our most enjoyable holidays in Kota Kinabalu.. we were there for 10 days in total and every single day was fun-filled.. partly because of the activities, but mostly for the company .. old schoolmates, cousins and new friends.

The first day we arrived, we went straight to a backpackers inn - the City Park Inn. Ok, it was my wife's idea to stay 3 days in a backpackers place.. cos "it sounds like an adventure", were her famous words .. too many adventure blogs, I say. Anyhow, she quickly realised that backpacking is just a romantic notion in her head as soon as we stepped into the room. Needless to say, if you've stayed at one of these places, you get my drift.. finally it was the stains on the mattress that did it .. haha.. I silently grinned when the next day, she proposed we move.. so we packed up and checked in to the Le Meridien, a fabulous 4 star hotel on the waterfront and right opposite the Philipino market selling everything from salted fish to freshwater pearls.

Diving Kota Kinabalu

We went diving at 9.30am at Sapi Island, about 15 minutes by speedboat from the jetty... it wasn't the best place to dive, as the fish were scarce.. we did see some stingrays, a scorpionfish and a moray eel. But then again, diving Sipadan and Kapalai probably spoilt it for us anyway. The island itself is a marine park and there were foodstalls selling local fare.. we had a nice meal of kuey teow soup and fried rice for about RM14. We spent longer than usual on the island, as the other divers on the boat were finishing a scuba course... for what seemed like hours and hours... but hey, when on holiday, just relaaax. We finally got back to the hotel at 4.30pm and were the last ones to leave the island.

Eat eat eat

KK has excellent seafood... there are some nice seafood places.. our good friend, Nur, has been there for the last two years.. so she gave us some first class tours of the city and the best places to eat.. there was one especially nice place in Salut, about 30 minutes from KK where we had the best buttered prawns and steamed fish.. they even de-veined the prawns otherwise my picky wife wouldn't touch them.. there was also a big mollusk called "gading gajah" - literaly "elephant tusk" - interesting and really chewy.. our friend Mayanne suprised us by eating the fried chilies from one of the dishes (I didn't know ppl did that)

Another great place was the revolving restaurant at the Menara Tun Mustapha.. we were there with Nur, Alison, Waling and for about 10 minutes, Martin. We had some drinks and tried not to get dizzy watching the walls go past us.. just thinking of it makes my head spin again... the floor must have moving almost 1 km per hour.. is was that fast! But the food was great.. gourmet style but with reasonable prices (well, compared to KL).











Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

The GroupThe Group
The Group

copyright:Zulfikri2006


15th June 2006

Nice holiday!
Hi Zul, Wow, sounds like a really nice place to go for a holiday (well, if u exclude the backpackers hotel). :) The food sounds yummy too! I'll try to get Mish to take us there. :)

Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0479s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb