Cynicism


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia
August 30th 2007
Published: September 12th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We were discussing with Ian the circumstances of our employment with Fairview, and put across our concerns that we were entirely ignorant of how to teach, what we were meant to be teaching or if we would be any good at it.
“Why,” asked Claire, “did Fairview decide to employ us?”
“Well,” replied Ian, tugging uncomfortably at his tie, “we had to compete with certain... ahh… assets… that the other international schools had.”
“You mean English teachers.”
“Well, yes.”
“So why not employ more experienced teachers?”
At this point Cathy interjected. “Well, we’re cheaper than experienced teachers aren’t we?”
Ian conceded the point. “But,” he added, “I would still rather have you guys than five highly qualified teachers, even if the cost was the same.”
“And why is that?”
“Because many teachers get jaded and cynical as they gain experience. They moan and gossip. But not you guys. You are young and fresh and enthusiastic. And do you know the main reason why I want you guys and not someone more experienced? Because you believe me when I say these things.”
We exchanged glances, and Claire spoke for us all. “No we don’t.”
There was an awkward silence.


Advertisement



Tot: 3.786s; Tpl: 0.045s; cc: 5; qc: 42; dbt: 3.6719s; 3; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb