Final Month Away- Borneo, Melacca & South Africa


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Sarawak
May 18th 2006
Published: May 18th 2006
Edit Blog Post

BORNEO




We flew into Sabah, Borneo on the 9th of April, its a stunning area of the world and we really loved it! Ben did some great dives in the marine park (TARP) off the coast of Kota Kinabalu, then we flew to Sandakan to see the Orang Utans.

The Orang Utans were awesome we managed to see babies, teenagers, and older adults playing, feeding, swinging from the trees, play fighting and showing off their young. In the quieter afternoon session one mistook Ben for an Orang Utan (easy to do considering the hair style and beard!) So he jumped from the trees onto the viewing platform right beside us! They are sooo human like with facial expressions and mannerisms!!

After the Orang Utans we were lucky to get a cancelation to go to Turtle Island or Selingan Island. Its an amazing tropical island with the white-est sand and blue-est sea, only 40 people are allowed on per night. We were shown a mother turtle who was 108cm long by 89cm wide and that was only the shell! It was her first time on the island and she layed 89 eggs. Turtles only lay their eggs where they themselves were hatched so she was tagged for future monitoring! The eggs were transfered to the hatchery where we could hold them, they felt and looked like squashy ping pong balls. Amazingly if the eggs are placed in the sun they turn out as boys and in the shade girls!! We then got to hold a day old hatchling and release them to the sea. It was a great experience.

Following straight on from that we went to Kinabatangan Jungle Camp and apent a night and two days doing river cruises with a guide to spot the big nosed Proboscis Monkey plus 3 other types, crocodiles, monitor lizards and loads of birdlife.

Lastly in Borneo we flew to the other side to the pretty city of Kuching where we chilled out for a few days, saw some of the sights and museums. Once we flew back to the mainland we met Jody and Kelly at Jody's parents house in Melacca, where we stayed for a few days. (Thank you to the Tan family.) I can't think how it happened but Ben got a reputation for eating everything so over the course of 3 days we tried, steam rollered pig, sting ray, Durien (the smelliest fruit which is banned from air con buildings and public transport,) pigs ears, satay and chicken rice!

From Melacca we shopped for a few days in Kuala Lumpur before flying to South Africa.

SOUTH AFRICA



Thank you Ady and CT for putting us up and meeting us at the airport we had a lovely couple of days in the rural town of Frankfort. From there we went ON SAFARI! Awesome!!!

We took our hire car and drove around Pilanesberg Game Reserve for 4 days where we were really lucky we managed to see a cheetah, lions, giraffes, hippos (including yawning ones!!!) elephants, rhinos, hyenas, baboons and loads of antelope species and more birds, oh and crocs and warthogs!!! We had 3 fantastic game drives with ranger guides one of which was at night when the park was shut, not only did we have hippos cross the road right in front of us but we were stalked by a territorial male elephant who nearly went for the bus!!! We managed to escape unscathed but over the 4 days lost our hire car number plate!!!

After Pilanesberg we managed to fit in the Crusaders thumping the Bulls in the Super 14 game in Pretoria and South Africa V New Zealand Test match day 3. We had a great time only slightly marred by someone stealing my Credit Card out of my padlocked bag left in my locked hotel room. Luckily it is all sorted out as it was a credit card!

So now we're home the years been just what we wanted and more and now all we have to do is find work until we go to the next adventure in Eastbourne!!!

Advertisement



19th May 2006

WOW
WOW! What more can I say.

Tot: 0.105s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0289s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb