In and around Kuching


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Sarawak
November 3rd 2009
Published: November 9th 2009
Edit Blog Post

SibuSibuSibu

Swan city
I left Miri and headed for Sibu, there's not much to see or do, but its a good stop of point to get the ferry onwards to Kuching, otherwise it was an 18hr bus ride and i didn't fancy that!
The ferry to Kuching was freezing, they set the aircon at arctic, luckily i had my bag with me so could dress accordingly!
I've based myself at a really nice hostel here and have been going on overnight trips around the area, without having to lug my backpack with me, which has been great. Kuching's a really nice city with a pretty waterfront and all the museums are free which is a bonus!
My first overnight stop was at Gunung Gading NP, its known for the Rafflesia, the worlds biggest flower. You have to find out before going if any are in bloom as they only last for about 5 days, i was lucky to see 2 at different stages. What i wasn't expecting though were so many mosquitos! I'd been really lucky and everywhere i'd been the mozzies were only around in the evening so i didn't have my repellent, boy did i regret that! The park also has some beautiful waterfalls to hike to and go swimming in, so thats how i spent the afternoon. I was amazed that i was the only person staying at the park overnight, its so peaceful and beautiful!
I headed back to Kuching and arranged my next trip out, which was an overnight stay in an Iban longhouse.
A lot of the tribes here live in longhouses, as children get older and have their own families they just extend the building. Each family has its own living area and the whole length of the building has a communal room for everyone. They had to live like this so in the days of headhunting the young men would sleep in the communal area to protect the families!
On the way to the longhouse we stopped at the Orang Utan sanctuary, i don't think the Orang Utans like me! None turned up this time! We also stopped at a pepper plantation. As soon as we got on the boat for the last stretch of the journey the skies opened in true rainforest style, thankfully i'd had the forethought to get a big plastic bag for my overnight bag. By the time we arrived we were
KuchingKuchingKuching

Cat city
all dripping wet! The longhouse we stayed in was seperate from the main communal longhouse, but in the evening, we were invited in asnd shown around. The chief has a massive private area, it just goes back and back, with a modern kitchen fitted!
They put on a dance show and got everyone to join in and made us drink lots of rice wine and whiskey! It was nice to just sit and chat with them afterwards. The following morning, we all got to try using a blow pipe, it was quite easy, but then we weren't aiming at a target moving throught the trees! Then we went for a lovely walk through the jungle and had lots of plant uses explained, before getting the boat for a lovely dry trip back.
Next was a 2 night stop at Bako NP with another bus/boat trip to get there. I met Caroline and hung out with her for the day. We headed straight for thew beach, its an hr long trail through jungle to get there and the beach is gorgeous. Just what i needed so the colour on my body could start catching up with my arms!
We got back
KuchingKuchingKuching

Layer cake
just before the evening rain started. The accommadation was pretty basic, but some of the rooms where too mouldy to sleep in,which meant we had 3 people sleeping under mozzie nets on our balcony! Thankfully mine was ok.
The following morning i went on a 3hr hike with Caroline,we saw Proboscis monkeys, Bearded pigs, a monitor lizard and Macaques are everywhere.
I did a few short walks in the afternoon, but didn't see much else.
When i got back to the city i had a few days to relax, had a great massage and met with Caroline for some leisurely lunches and dinners! We did manage to fit in the cultural village as well!
I had such a great time in Borneo, i'll miss the jungle, but as always its time to go!


Additional photos below
Photos: 69, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Longhouse stayLonghouse stay
Longhouse stay

Iban dancers
Longhouse stayLonghouse stay
Longhouse stay

Cock fight


Tot: 0.123s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0349s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb