Attack of the Monkeys


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Sarawak
December 2nd 2006
Published: December 2nd 2006
Edit Blog Post

The previous week we were in Kuching, Sarawak province where we explored the city and a few parks. Nice quiet place and we stayed at the Borneo B & B which was fantastic. Very cosy and we met some nice people. An Irish couple, Vincent and Alva, and an English guy, Jason. Jason is quite the guy. Just been traveling for god only knows how long. Any country someone mentioned, he had been there for 6 months. He should write a book about his travels. He could tell you the roads to take to get to pretty much everywhere. He was in DesertStorm, he was a firefighter, he was a parajumper... Everything. He was such a nice guy and very helpful and fun to talk to. One of our lazy days, all of us went to the pool where we layed around doing nothing. Good times.

We tried to see the Orangatans at the park but none were seen. We were very dissappointed, but the guide told us there are only 22 in their park and you would have a better chance to see them in Sabah where there are nearly a thousand. So we will try our luck again next week.

We also went to Bako Natl Park where we saw lots of animals. I was nearly attacked by Long Tailed Maquas monkeys when we left our cabin. I walked out of our room carrying my bag and a bag of garbage to throw out. I look and there was an army of monkeys charging me ( nearly 30) and a guide yelling "Bag, Bag" I didn't know what he was talking about. So I stood there as the monkeys are coming at me and the guide chasing the monkeys throwing rocks at them. Fun stuff. Nice way to start our tour of park. Next, we saw a Pit Viper which made our trekking a little more scary by ourselves when there are poisonous snakes around, including King Cobras of the spitting kind. We also saw the rare Proboscis monkey (only found in Borneo) which has a honker that put's Brian's snout to shame. Please research Prosboscis monkey to know what I am talking to. It is pretty cool to see these big monkeys jumping from tree to tree, crashing through. And that night we walked out to watch the fireflies put on a show for us. Was a very nice trip and well worth it. Anyways. our next stop will be Kota Kinabalu.

Hope all is well,
Blaine and Jamie

Advertisement



Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0367s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb