Sipidan - wow!!


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Sabah » Sipadan
August 30th 2009
Published: August 30th 2009
Edit Blog Post

well I've done a bit of diving here now, still have a few days left but have a rest day today, and lets face it there's not a lot to do here in Sempourna when not diving apart from sleep and eat, so I'm doing both along with some travel updates 😊

I have now had a couple of dive days with scuba junkies (whom I am also staying with in a dorm room, the cheapest but also the best way to meet other people).
The first dive day tipped down with rain and involved a boat trip out (around 1-1.5hours) through very choppy waters to a place called Bohayan, the diving itself though was pretty spectacular which kind of made up for the freezing, wet surface intervals between the dives (huddled in the boat trying to keep warm with the use of a life jacket) but still very much worth it.
The second day was lovely and warm and took us to the island of Mabul - where we also had our surface intervals, again, amazing dives.
The 3rd day (booked with Uncle Changs) was the pinnacle though and was diving Sipidan, wow what an amazing place.

Sipidan is reckoned on one of the top 10 dive sites in the world and I can quite imagine it, although the visibility wasn't amazing the diving itself certainly was, Barracuda point (the first dive of the day) included hovering below a huge shoal of barracuda, having sharks (Grey reef and White tip) in close proximity and wonderful topography and abundance of underwater life. We also dived White Tip Avenue and Turtle Cave (all at Sipidan) and in all during the day spotted 24 sharks and I have no idea how many turtles (some very large) at the very least double the amount of sharks. Truely an awe inspiring place.

I still have 3 days left of diving here before I move on again to view above water animals.
Big hug to you all.xx


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.119s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0853s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb