Under the sea


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Sabah » Semporna
October 22nd 2006
Published: October 23rd 2006
Edit Blog Post

Diving still incredible! Dived at different islands of Mabul and Kapalai yesterday, which was macro muck diving - very different from the pretty corals of Sipadan - lots of sand, wrecks, and random large objects and rocks to look under which was very fun. Saw completely different types of fish - crocodile fish, HUGE cuttlefish, massive groupers (literally twice the size of me) and the weird looking stonefish, frogfish, leaf fish and pipefish - very cool!

Today was my last day of diving at Sipadan - was a fantastic day and one of the dives was the BEST dive I've done here so far - more sharks than I've ever seen in my life, they were literally everywhere! And turtles gliding around every direction you look, and even saw a big school of squid mating - amazing!

The only down side was a bit of drama at the dive shop - the owner of the dive shop (a woman who only comes to the shop once every month or so, who's husband runs the shop) decided last night that she wouldn't let Mel dive today because she thinks Mel is having an affair with her 40+ year-old husband, which is ridiculous! So there was a bit shouting match this morning when Mel confronted her, tears, and she threatened to fire anyone who let Mel on the boat. So was a shame Mel couldn't come with me on my last day of diving, but was still a good day. There are some crazy people in this world!

Got my first attempts at underwater photography uploaded for me - not bad, though didn't get as many good shots as I would like, as the camera ran out of batteries half way through the dive, and before the best bits! But never mind - here are a few of them - these are from the dive site of Barracuda Point. Hopefully I will get some proper photos from the videographer who has some seriously sophisticated equipment (rather than the old camera I was using, without flash!) and then I can show what it was really like. But quite proud of these anyway...

Tonight having big leaving do for Mel with the dive shop staff, as we're off tomorrow around the rest of Borneo - that is, if we can get a bus, as it's Hari Raya here at the moment (a big muslim holiday) so literally nothing is running - may be stuck here till Saturday!

Happy Hari Raya!




Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

Huge school of barracuda at the famous dive site of Barracuda PointHuge school of barracuda at the famous dive site of Barracuda Point
Huge school of barracuda at the famous dive site of Barracuda Point

They're usually much clearer than this and you can swim right in the middle of them, but this day they were out in the deep blue


Tot: 0.124s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 16; qc: 101; dbt: 0.0866s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb