Phase 2 - Batu Puteh


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Sabah » Sandakan
April 9th 2007
Published: April 9th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Just in Sandakan at the moment for a dayout,we are just chilling round town then off to Sepilog the orangutang sanctury for the afternoon,it is really nice to get out for the day.

Living ina village called Kampong Mengaris, in Batu Puteh just by the side of a beautiful croc infested oxbow river. We get a boat ride up to the work site very day, we are helping build an eco lodge in the jungle just further up the river, it is an amazing site - i would love to come back and stay when it is finished!

We work every dayfrom 8.30am till 4.30pm solong days onsite. The work is really hard, loads of manual labour been digging an 8 foot hole for the septic tanks, making a broadwalk, helping build the washhouse and loads of carrying wood. i am always very dirty and sweaty as it is really hot and such hard manual labour - cant wait till i can lye on a beach for a while!

To wash, we have to sit on the pontoon in sarongs and use buckets as there are crocs and it is a muslim village sohave to always be
Waiting to go to work!Waiting to go to work!Waiting to go to work!

(Emma, Hannah, Chris, Lottie & Dot)
covered up, sounds strange but my favourate part of the day!!

Seen loads of wildlife, an orangutang in the wild!! it was amazing we were watching it for ages as it swung about in the trees, it was massive about 6 foot!! Also seen loads of monkeys,every day they come out about 5pm and loads of monkey porn - very funny!! I think the best thing i have seen in the crocs,seen afew baby crocs but also abig 3 and half meter croc - twice the size of me!! So cool but also a little scary as it was only about 50 meters from the boat!!! Always so much to see!

The group i am with are all really and having a great laugh,you will be surprised to knowi have been getting up to do some yoga in the mornings as the sun rises on the pontoon - beautiful! always up about 6ish! have also managed to fit in a run - i surprise myself some times!!

Well as you prob have gathered having a great time, will update again at change over, i will be diving and trekking next so looking forward to it!!

lots of love Jo xx

p.s sorry again for the lack of pictures you will have to wait a while.


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

Laying hundreds of sandbags and tamping!Laying hundreds of sandbags and tamping!
Laying hundreds of sandbags and tamping!

In total we filled, carried, layed and tamped exactly 1,461 sandbags!! You should see my guns! (Me & Lottie)
Getting down and dirty!Getting down and dirty!
Getting down and dirty!

(Martin, Jamie, Rosli, Vicki, Norsalli, Ollie & Emma)
More lifting and carrying!More lifting and carrying!
More lifting and carrying!

(Johnny, Chris & Jamie)


26th April 2007

hello
Wow sounds like u are having a wicked time, i am so pleased you are enjoying it. sorry not left message before it is the first time i have been able to do this. i am dead impressed with myself. the pics look lush and can't wait to see more. make sure u are looking after yourself. love steph

Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0462s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb