Mt Kinabalu


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Sabah » Mount Kinabalu
June 26th 2007
Published: June 26th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Hello it's Ben.
Yesterday we climbed Mt Kinabalu (why is it called 'mount' not 'mountain' kinabalu?). It was one of the hardest things Sarah and I have ever done.
Some facts about the mountain. It is 4095.2 metres high, the highest in South East Asia, and we went right to the top! (although the start was at 1563 metres i think) and the area it is in has 4 climate zones. Our first day of walking took us up to a rest house called Laban Rata where you could sleep and eat. It was a 6KM walk up some incredibly steep slopes. The terrain ranged from dry mud, to wet mud, to deep mud! to stones, to large boulders, to shallow streams, and slippery granite rock! and of course any combination of the above!
I'm not sure how high up we were when we got to the rest house but we were both ridiculously worn out and suffering from altitude sickness! Not only could we barely move our legs, we had headaches, dizzyness and confusion, and i was feelign very sick! (so i rather stupidly ordered an egg banjo burger - two fried eggs, a processed cheese slice and cucumber in a roll - i had to get sarah to eat it!).
The climb up really was arduous. It took us 4.5 hours, although the average is between 5 and 7! so we powered it, but i think that was our downfall, we should have paced ourselves! we got carried away overtaking so many people!
The weather on our first ascent was warm and sunny for 2/3 of the time, and absolutely pouring with rain for the other 1/3! Plus the nearer we got to the top, the colder it got. The rain was so incredibly hard, making everything muddier and more slippery. But by mid afternoon we found our way to Laban Rata. There we went to bed around 7.30 PM like the crazy cats we are, ready to get up for 2.30AM the next day, for the next 3KM to the summit to be climbed in the dark ready for sunrise.
We were very tired as we didn't sleep much. We were sharing a dorm room with a German or Czech couple who liked to walk around in their pants. The climb on the second day was the most amazing part of the experience. The terrain changed completely. Not only was it pitch dark, but it was very cold, and you could barely see where you were going, you just had to follow the person in front, and your guide's advice. Now we were mainly picking our way over big boulders, up crazily steep steps set at ridiculous angles and distances from each other, and scrambling up 45degree rock faces using ropes to pull ourselves up. It took us 2.5 hours to reach the summit here, just in time for sunrise. We were among the first 20 to arrive at the peak, the highest point in Borneo and South East Asia, but it slowly begain filling up, and the peak wasn't a huge space of land! More and more people wrestled for space and to capture the perfect photo with them next to the signpost. Luckily there was a two-wire fence keeping people from falling into the cavernous abyss, where me and Sarah were wedged!
After plenty of our own photos we slowly (very slowly) made our way down to Laban Rata, with legs like jelly and knees that were fast giving up! On our first descent we cold see exactly what we'd climbed up in the dark, and there were some very hairy moments we were unaware of! one slip, or slight detour would have led us off the face of the mountain! (well, not exactly the face, but a pretty large drop!). The descent was amazing because of the view, but really hard work on the knees. After a small breakfast and a 10 minute nap we started the 6km descent to the base of the mountain, and again, it poured with rain, but it felt really good to be at the bottom! Many times during our ascent we'd questioned why we'd paid quite large amounts of money to be put through pain, fatigue and horrible weather! But when we reached the top that dissolved completely and was replaced by elation and a massive buzz as we surveyed the huge views (pictures coming soon!).
So that was the mountain. It was good fun (the last bit anyway, the first bit was just really hard work). Also, a 90 year old woman has done the climb so its not that special, and you see lots of local people employed to carry things up to Laban Rata, they have huge packs on their backs as they trudge up th mountain - very humbling. But that was our exercise quota for the year fulfilled, now we are going to do some lazing on beaches i think. Thailand the day after tomorrow which should be lovely jubbly. We filled up our camera memory card now so pictures are coming soon!
Ben
x

Advertisement



26th June 2007

YEAH
Yeah.. the speedy ascent was my fault... I tend ot get a little bit competitive and I was getting a bit too excited when we overtook people (and a bit too worried when people overtook us....!) Well I can tell you all now I'm suffering for my weakness.... my knees and legs no longer do their bidding and completely flat out refuse to carry me up and down stairs.
27th June 2007

Mt Kinabalu
WOW!! Sounds absolutely amazing. Now please take great care of those joints! x

Tot: 0.225s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.1868s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb