Kudat


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Sabah » Kudat
August 9th 2008
Published: August 11th 2008
Edit Blog Post

9 August- Kudat and Turuan

Off to the north-eastern tip of Borneo today, a bumpy 4 hour ride in the minibus up to the Kudat province. Still, the view is beautiful and the beach even better. three kilometres of white sandy beach with incredibly clear and very warm (32 degrees) water. We''re the only people on the beach and have a bag of fragrant mangoes to keep us company.
After that we make for the Rungus tribe longhouse where we're spending a night on a homestay programme with an extended family group and their pets, a goose,ducks, hens and cockerels, and three dogs. Quite an experience! The building is an all bamboo longhouse with a long communal area along one side and partitioned rooms alog the other. A couple of mattresses covered in mosquito nets adorn each room. Dinner is an al fresco buffet of local specialities like banana flower in coconut, papaya, yams and chicken curry and we're serenaded by an whole orchestra of insects!
After dinner we're treated to a tribal cultural show with childrens games and dancing to traditional musical instruments and costumes - we even get to join in much to the boys' embarassment.
After some local rice wine it's time to get some sleep, well try to anyway, with the heat and all the insects it's not easy.....

10 - 12 August
Check in to the Shangri La Rasa Ria resort for a couple of nights pampering before HK. Heaven is now defined as aircon, fluffy white towels and soft pillows!
For the boys heaven is pizza, milkshakes and jetskiing!


Advertisement



Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0399s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb