Sabah


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Sabah » Kota Kinabalu
July 17th 2006
Published: August 12th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Oran UtangOran UtangOran Utang

This male came along for the leftovers after the dominant male had left the feeding area
Salamat Detang (we're back in Malaysia)
Arrived in KK on the 15th, one day to look around and then we flew to Sandakan. We visited the Oran Utang Sanctuary at Sepilock, feeding time is a little like a circus, but as this may be the only chance to see these wonderful, creatures in the semi-wild, so we have to make the most of it!!!
They appear to have great characters from the way they behave and interact with each other.
Next it was on the move again to Uncle Tans for our "jungle adventure", lunch at Ops base before we drive to the Kinabatangan River and travel to the jungle camp by small motor boat, this was a wildlife expedition in it's self as it was evening by now and there were lots of birds, pig tailed and long tailed Macaques as well as lots of proboscis monkeys.
The camp is basic as we were warned, but the mossie nets worked well the food was good and plentiful, AND we saw a large male Oran Utang in the trees just out side camp. We also saw a python, lots of frogs, scorpions and spiders including 2 Blue Tarantula, a new species
K.inabatangan RiverK.inabatangan RiverK.inabatangan River

It took us 2 hours to get to Uncle Tans via the Kinabatangan River, but only 3/4 hour to get back.
endemic to this part of the world, just discovered last year. We stayed 2 nights at Uncle Tan’s and then we spent 3 days in Sandakan, just relaxing, enjoying the local food and beer and taking in the local sights and temples.
Back to KK to decide on diving and we decided to go over to Semporna and try and dive Sipidan. However it was fully booked (which means we have to return to this part of the world,) but the diving we did was excellent, seeing many new species of fish including the frog fish. And lots of coral, except where it has been dynamited for fishing purposes. (it’s illegal but………)
We’ve really enjoyed our time spent traveling throughout Malaysia, the people are very friendly, the food good and traveling is easy. We would recommend it to everyone.
Jumpa lagee
Maggie & Arnie



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

FrogFrog
Frog

Just one of the small frogs we saw on our night safari through the jungle
Cotton BugCotton Bug
Cotton Bug

It is a bug but it looks just like a bundle of cotton threads, but it moves really fast
Orang Utang in the wildOrang Utang in the wild
Orang Utang in the wild

Half asleep, mid afternoon (usually not much moves during this time!!) and we heard a shout, there was a large male oran utang passing through just outside the camp. Wonderful views, but very difficult to get a photograph!!
Proboscis MonkeyProboscis Monkey
Proboscis Monkey

We saw and heard lots of these creatures aling the river bank, howevergetting a photo, especially of the nose was very difficult.
Sunset over the riverSunset over the river
Sunset over the river

It was very peaceful going down the river by boat just at dusk looking for wildlife, the beautiful sunset was an added bonus.
king fisherking fisher
king fisher

e saw lots of Stork Billed kingfishers along the river bank, but only once did we spot this less common Blue Eared kingfisher.
Sim SimSim Sim
Sim Sim

Very refreshing breeze and a lovely place to live over the sea, except that everthing gets thrown out in to the sea, I mean everything


Tot: 0.202s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.1396s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb