Uncle Tan's River Camp


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Sabah » Kota Kinabalu
July 24th 2011
Published: July 24th 2011
Edit Blog Post

3 Days and 2 Nights in the Jungle



Returned to KK yesterday after spending a couple of nights staying at Uncle Tan's, a basic river camp outside of Sepilok. Before heading off we had a rewarding visit to the Orangutan rehabilitation centre at Sepilok. We were luck y enough to see 6 adults and two babies, some of them quite close and they were around for quite some time, very special.
Thoroughly enjoyed the experience at Uncle Tan's, I was a little unsure before going about how basic it was going to be but it was fine. We were fortunate with the weather which was dry and not too hot. The staff were very friendly and good guides, both on the river and on the short treks into the jungle. We saw many primates, including wild orangutans and proboscis monkeys. Saw many, many birds, particularly excited to see a rhinoceros hornbill and two storm storks (both quite rare). On an evening boat ride also watched as thousands of fruit bats flew over head from thier day-time resting trees to find food, it was quite spectancular. On a night trek we were able to see a number of sleeping birds at low levels, they look quite artificial and just sit motionless while you take photos. We were very happy to encounter showers again on returing to Sepilok!
We're having a couple of days rest in KK beofre leaving by ferry to Brunei on the next stage.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.128s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 57; dbt: 0.074s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb