Mamutik - snorkelling in the rain


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Sabah » Kota Kinabalu
August 23rd 2009
Published: August 27th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Mamutik is one of five islands that make up the Tunku Abdul Rahman Marine Park, just off the coast of KK. Its an easy trip out there, bus or "Kuni Taxi" to the Jesselton Ferry terminal, pick a company to go with (one that shouts the loudest, has the longest or shortest queue, the first one in the door - doesnt matter, the prices are fixed) and wait for the boat to leave. Mamutik is a 10-15 minute speed boat ride away, and there are no speed limits in the harbour, in fact, if you can go faster than any other boat near you, then great, have a go! Dont worry about the locals out there in their little fishing boats / dug outs. not that they are allowed in the park, but they are in the harbour.

Tunku Abdul Rahman was Chief Minister of the Federation of Malaya from 1955, and the country's first Prime Minister from independence in 1957. He remained as the Prime Minister after Sabah, Sarawak, and Singapore joined the federation in 1963 to form Malaysia. If anyone is interested in who the park is named after.

Anyway, I wont waste your time with too many words. We went out for the day, snorkelled and read on the beach (it didnt rain for long! but it was warmer in the water than in the rain!!). We walked the track over a small hill behind the beach first, looking for somewhere quieter to snorkel, but all we found was one place off the rocks into the waves, not a fun entry into the water. Besides the hill behind was swarming with mossies. So it was back to the main (only) beach with everyone else that was there that day. The first place we went in was rubbish - dead. So after the rain stopped, we went round the front to the main snorkelling beach. magic! Well, compared with the first palce anyway. Much better, still plenty of dead coral, but loads of fish etc. Including some that kept biting us.

Mamutik Critter Count: Clownfish, Trunkfish, Damselfish, Anenomefish, Angelfish, Blennies, Gobies, Wrasse, Parrotfish, Starfish

Anyway, here are the photos, they're not great, the water was pretty murky and we are only using a point & shoot digital in a snorkelling case. (Not that we are complaining about the case here..) We have tried to label them, we have a great book (thanks Mum and Dad) but there are so many fish in it! If anyone can help us out, we'd love to hear from you. We promise to try and do better with the pics from Mabul and Sipidan.


Additional photos below
Photos: 28, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Giant ClamGiant Clam
Giant Clam

Didnt come out too well, sorry, you'll have to use some imagination!!
More anemonefishMore anemonefish
More anemonefish

There were quite a lot, and they are so cute! And I swear some of them posed!!


30th August 2009

Fishies
We don't have our marine book with us, but the one that look like a boxfish is a type of Toadfish. We think the Anemonefish you're not sure of is a False Clownfish and the realy big dark red Clownfish are actually Anemonefish. The banded ones are a type of Angelfish, maybe the Sixband Angelfish? That's our best guess. Anyway... Keep having fun!
3rd September 2009

Thanks! We have a better fish book back in NZ, just didnt fancy carrying the extra weight! As for having fun - always!
28th October 2009

Enjoyed your blogs about Malaysia
Thinking of heading that way hopefully next year. Are you guys Northlanders by any chance?
3rd November 2009

Yes we are! What gave it away?
10th November 2009

You used 'tiki tour'
That's very kiwi! I was looking for blogs about my hometown and noticed that you had Whangarei as the title of one of your blogs. I'm originally a Whangarei girl, my family still lives there. Ha ha, Whangarei by any chance?
13th November 2009

yup, we are based just NW of Whangarei.

Tot: 0.272s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 31; qc: 146; dbt: 0.1619s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.5mb