Kota Kinabalu


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Sabah » Kota Kinabalu
February 16th 2009
Published: February 16th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Well firstly i need to catch up quite a lot as the days are running away with me as per usual. Firstly lets say Kota Kinabalu is a lovely city and i recommend it to everyone who loves plebbing around and spending days on tropical islands. Sorry i cannot put any pictures on at the moment but dont have my cable connection with me at the internet store so you will have to wait until next time. We caught a bus from Sandekan here and it took about 6 hours with the lunch stop - they always have one of those!!! we passes mile upon mile of palm oil plantations but whilst it may look green and lovely it is in fact all about money and not about ecology as they are chopping down indigenous forests and jungles to plant these palms. after about 4 hours we found ourselves high up in the mountains and huge valleys spread out with jungle - we were in range of Mt. Kinabalu but fortune was not on our side as the mountain was covered in cloud and we did not even get a peak. it seemed we went downhill towards the sea forever but all the way down i was overcome by the beauty of the jungle. The town of Kota Kinabalu is mostly between hills and sea and not unlike the feeling of Cape Town in that way. its noted for its great sunsets and it did not dissapoint us the first night anyway. we found ourselves on the pier right at the end at Pirates Pub which belongs to an Englishman called Nic who is a rugby coach in his other job and he assured me that he was coming to Cape Town to see the Lions play so of course i whipped out my business card so lets hope i see you in Cape Town Nic for a drink in my pub!!!

Its really easy to get to the islands for day trips from here as the boat only takes about 20 minutes and there are 5 close by to choose from. The first day we went to the more commericial island which was great - lots of fish to see and it was jellyfish season so many of those which had me a little bit afraid but if you could see me getting in the water i am safer than most. i get dressed to go in with long cotton pants and long cotton top so i dont get burnt (please tell Vera for me if you see her before my next checkup!!) Oh its just too wonderful for words. i keep on forgetting to take a disposable camera with me and we sell the damn things!!! next time.
the next day we went to the museum and it was a great museum set in wonderful grounds along with a small "village" depicting local longhouses etc set around a lake. Inside the building many good displays and a very interesting especially the photgraphic display from one of the last British Govenors there who had some wonderful pictures of local tribesmen (probably headhunters!!) and local life. it must have been amazing during those early years but i am sure i am not tough enough as after our walk in the "jungle gardens " of the museum - and it was a little trek i all but landed on my arse too much to Terry's delight and my good fortune nothing got broke and i kept my btm off the muddy ground by millimetres - i was also covered in bites and stuff!!! this did not forbode well for the next days snorkelling as its not a good idea to go into warm coral seas covered in bites - some of which were scratched so i just sat on the beach and read my book and had a lovely time. its really not hard!!!
The main street of Kota Kinabalu is Gaya Street and it reminded me so much of Disengof Street in Tel Aviv especially the part where i used to live when working at The Green House. Tree lined and oh so pleasant filled with chinese eating houses. Dim sum for breakfast, or Laksa soup or wanton mee (little won tons with noodles) One night for dinner we walked past a place where they were doing only one thing that we never found the name of but i am sure it was all parts of pork. a load of little dishes arrived at the table in saucy soup - mushrooms, tofu, stews of meat eaten with rice, chillies, and lime. i watched the girls at the table next to me to see how they mixed their condiments and just followed suit. My folks first lesson to me when travelling was always go into a full restaurant and sure enough it never fails. The punters know!!!

We had to make some decisions about where to next and so we decided we did not want to go via Brunei as it did not seem too much fun and it would take at least two to 3 days so got on the plane and flew Air Asia where the slogan is Now we can all fly and came to Kuching. The flight was short and great and i got to see Mt. Kinabalu for as we took off we went above the clouds and there she was peaking through the top!! so at least i have a few pics of the great Mountain.
I will send some next time. Take care till then xxLee


Advertisement



Tot: 0.238s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 51; dbt: 0.1591s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb