Hello muggy


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Sabah » Kota Kinabalu
November 22nd 2006
Published: November 22nd 2006
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

To Kuta Kinabalu


Mat: We are in Kuta Kinabalu. Its muggy. Muggy muggy. As you would expect it to be in the tropics. Probably exaggerated for us because the last couple of weeks in New Plymouth and Wellington were so cold, wet and windy.
Our plans at the moment are to book the hut halfway up Mt Kinabalu for the 29th, so we can hit the top on the 30th for my 30th. We are waiting for Air Asia to open so we can check out the flights to Sandakan. They only cost $30 or something which means we do not need to take the bus (8 - 12 hours depending on stops according to our hostel host). We are over sitting in one spot for long periods after the flights and hanging about from New Plymouth - Auckland - Bangkok - Kuta Kinabalu, so do not want to face a bus trip.
Its so good to be here. Will update again once I have something interesting to say!
😊

Trace: We made it to Borneo! Had a very long flight over, but there's no way to change that! Stayed in a very comfortable hotel in Bankok two nights ago, air conditioned and clean. A treat for the first night. Walked around Bankok yesterday morning, and stumbled across a royal museum in gorgeous park-like surroundings (all in the middle of the concrete jungle that is buy Bankok). Spent a couple of hours on a guided tour, for a cost of $4 each, well worth it. Flew into Kota Kinabalu in the dark last night, stayed in a non-air conditioned dorm room, and woke up at 6:30am to a comforting muggy heat.

Today we plan to book the adventurous part of our travels in Sabah - the climb, and the diving. Bankok's new airport is pretty swish, but the huge metal tube-like shape of it means that the acoustics aren't so good. There is an amazing echo that means that only the first few words of each announcement can be understood, the echo, then the echo of the echo gets accumulatively worse until the announcement becomes one long monotonous noise! Very amusing for us ...



Advertisement



22nd November 2006

Hey Mat and Trace - Pleased you made it safely!!! The weather finally cleared up in Welly after you left! We got back lastnight and Tane has gone up to Tutukaka on a build - fishing rods, diving gear and all!!! Smurfie, Jaykh and Tommy all well! I think we will have to make it over for a visit in April (I decided)! Nice work on the comfortable hotel! xx Tanya (and Tane).

Tot: 0.041s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 27; dbt: 0.023s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb