Borneo: Return of the leeches


Advertisement
Asia » Malaysia » Sabah » Kinabatangan
February 12th 2014
Published: February 12th 2014
Edit Blog Post

While traipsing through ankle high mud fighting leeches in the Bornean rainforest we turned to each other and laughed "We're traipsing through ankle high mud fighting leeches in the Bornean rainforest!" Just the name of this island evokes images of adventure and exploration. Matt's book of choice for this trip was Alfred Russel Wallace's <em style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal;">T... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 34, Displayed: 21


Advertisement




12th February 2014

Fantastic!
Amazing post and photos! I've always wanted to go there and see all the animals. Love the tarsier, hornbills and so much more. If you ever get a chance to read "Into the Heart of Borneo" it's pretty funny. Take care you guys!
12th February 2014

Oh boy...
While Orangutan's are my favorite animal of all, I'm not sure all of them in the world would be enough to get me to wade through millipedes, leeches, JUMPING spiders and other sorts of bugs. While I'm sure it's beautiful and amazing, and Matt probably cannot get enough of all the creepy crawlies, I think I'll leave this leg of the trip off my wish list, atleast compared to your previous experiences. By the way, your photos are amazing, Matt. Between Roberta's captive writing and Matt's beautiful photos, you guys have a really great blog going on here.
13th February 2014

What a treat!!
I had a question about the mating tree frogs, but it will have to wait until we meet again! What a wonderful diversity of life - what are the knobblies on the tarsier's finger tips? Are the saltwater crocodiles related to the African fresh water crocs? I'm so envious - have a wonderful time! Oh, and we are going to swim in Cultus Lake - does not really compare with Borneo, but thought I will just drop that in the conversation. Maybe we might see some algi.
13th February 2014

Oh - Did I forget to tell you about the LEECHES!!!
Haha sorry about that, they are nasty little things and in no short supply! I had so many on me when i went. And thanks for the shout outs, haha. I can't believe you guys saw a Tarsier, and nabbed such a cool pic of it. Was it obviously low to the ground? Crazy. I hope you guys travel some more of Borneo, where to next? I am off to Honduras today actually...keep livin the dream!

Tot: 0.105s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 17; qc: 75; dbt: 0.0624s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb