The Cameron Highlands


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Pahang » Tanah Rata
May 6th 2007
Published: May 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post

The bus finally left hot, humid and sticky Kuala Lumpur and began its way to the Cameron Highlands. The change in scenery was starkly apparent as we left the city. To make our way to Tanah Rata (I suppose you would describe it as the main town of the Highlands) the bus had to drive up some incredibly windy roads. What first strikes you as you step off the bus is the change in temperature. Because the Highlands are located at around 1500 metres above sea level it has a much cooler climate. It was certainly a welcome change from KL!

Signed up for a couple of great tours while up in the Cameron Highlands. The first of these was the "Country Tour" - which included visits to a rose garden, a bee garden, local market, butterfly garden and the Boh tea plantation. They were all fantastic places to visit, especially the tea plantation. While there we visited the Boh Tea factory and saw how they processed the tea from leaf form to what you get in your cup everyday!

Also did a big trek in the Cameron Highlands. My guide took me through the surrounding jungle and
Used teaUsed teaUsed tea

And this is what it looks like when the workers have been round...
rainforest of Tanah Rata, but not on any of the actual walking tracks as they are pretty much ruined apparently. As the guide has lived up in the Highlands his whole life he seemed to know the jungle like the back of his hand. We had to cross loads of rivers and streams and also walk through lots of mud. My trainers are certainly not as white as they once were. While on the trek our guide was telling us that the jungle and rainforest will probably not exist for that much longer due to prospective land development. It seems that the Malysians do not really care for their own natural wonders.

That pretty much sums up my time in the Cameron Highlands. It is a fantastic place. And the food is amazing there too. You definitely have got to try a banana leaf curry (involves loads of tasty things ranging from potatoes, beans, very colourful prawn cracker-type things, as well as the curry) and also a steamboat meal.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Banana Leaf CurryBanana Leaf Curry
Banana Leaf Curry

The best curry I've ever had!


Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.028s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0413s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb