Tanah Mereh, Malaysia


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Pahang » Taman Negara National Park
November 2nd 2008
Published: November 12th 2008
Edit Blog Post

From the Perhentian Islands we took the "Jungle Train" from the Northern end of the Malaysian Peninsula to Kuala Lumpur (KL). We had to spend a night in a tiny town called Tanah Mereh from where we picked up the train the next morning. The only other two western people in town were a French guy and an American who were also taking the train. There was only one small hostel in the town which looked like it had never been cleaned. We wiled away the hours here learning a French dice game called Yams and we also played a bit of frisbee.

We caught the train the next morning. It took 12 hours to get to KL, winding it's way through palm oil plantations and eventually into primary rainforest where we could see monkeys in the trees. Sometimes you could only see a metre outside of the window such was the thickness of the vegetation. The train consisted of only three carriges. A poor old man had the unenviable job of walking up and down the train every 10 minutes with his food and drinks trolley. He kept this up for the entire 12 hours.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.044s; cc: 13; qc: 27; dbt: 0.027s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 3; ; mem: 1mb