14 Days in Malaysia


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Melaka
January 18th 2016
Published: January 20th 2016
Edit Blog Post

14 Day Malaysian adventure -leaving Cyprus winter behind for South East Asia
Sunday was uneventful. Our friends Kathy and Joe insisted in driving us to Larnaca for our Qatar airlines flight via Doha to Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, for which we were very grateful, thank you. We chose Qatar because of their competitive fares plus great transit time of 2 Hours meant whole journey would take twelve hours, not bad. The reality, however, was that the level of comfort and service was immediately forgettable. Can never understand that the shorter flight from Larnaca is always more comfortable than the longer-haul leg! This is true of Etihad and, to our knowledge, Emirates too, just don't get it! However, we arrived on time, customs and baggage reclaim very efficient, which unfortunately meant we then had a wait of two and a half hours wait for our express bus southbound to Melaka, our first port of call (forgive pun). There was a crude but busy curry house within the humble bus station, which did a roaring trade all morning, much to our amusement, but we were by then feeling tired and the wafting smells only made us a bit nauseous, instead of hungry. The bus eventually arrived and we claimed our pre-booked front seats. We were the only two passengers to embark at KLIA. We gained about a dozen more at KLIA2 and more than a couple of local folks were a little upset that the best seats had been claimed. When Paula decided we would travel the two hour journey from KL to Melaka by road, it was to provide an insight into the lush landscape and give a brief introduction to Malaysia and it's People. Instead of soaking up the sights and activities along the route, we fell into a deep sleep. The coach had a lovely, mellow rolling gait, and we dozed peacefully along. Some time into the journey, we awoke with a jolt, to the sound of snores, only to turn around to find every single one of our fellow passengers fast asleep male and female, young and old! It was very bizarre. Fortunately, the driver remained awake and off loaded us at the main bus station. Total cost for this trip, MYR48 (£8 for the 2 adult tickets). A 15 minute take drive later delivered us to our low key hotel at the end of the famous Jonker Street. Check in was swift, top floor room, large bed and a few steps up to a compact but fabulous roof terrace overlooking the historical city of Melaka. The sun shining, tropical temperatures in mid-thirties, changed into shorts and tees and off to explore the compact and alluring city of Melaka. We felt refreshed and more than ready to start our explorations.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



20th January 2016

Already enjoying and just read day 1 - greatX

Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0357s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb