International Influences


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Melaka » Melaka City
May 5th 2016
Published: May 6th 2016
Edit Blog Post

The breakfast was a real treat and we all agreed it was the best on the trip so far. At 10.00 we met on the foyer for a tour of old Melaka City. The influence of the Portuguese, the Dutch and the Chinese. How Dutch and British ships loaded up with bricks and tiles as ballast and sold them in the Eadt Indies for silks, spices etc. It became a world heritage site about ten years ago and there is a constant fund to resort the mish mash of buildings. Harmony Street was particularly interesting as it had a Hindu Temple, Mosque and Budddhist Temple all within two hundred yards of each other.
After an hour and a half we called it a day as the kids were melting. We retraced our steps to an air conditioned cafe and took an hour to cool off.
Back at the hotel we have some time in the pool before heading back into Jonkers Street to the Daily Fix cafe. It turned out to be cash only, so I ordered and then headed off to find an ATM. My card didn't work, so I switched places with Cas and she went to withdraw some. The food arrive but no Cas...I asked the kids to refrain from eating or drinking in case we couldn't pay for it. Half an hour went by and for the kids it was like a thirsty person seeing a mirage in a desert - the food smelt good and their little mouths drooled. Finally, Cas arrived with the dough and the plates of food were demolished in record time.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.109s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0737s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb