Malacca City: Malaysia's beautiful historic city


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Melaka » Melaka City
February 25th 2015
Published: February 25th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Malacca city


Very few cities in Southeast Asia boast such rich history and have managed to preserve its architectural heritage as Malacca city. Initially a sultanate, it was later dominated by the Portuguese, Dutch and the British. Although several large scale projects are in progress, the city still possesses a distinct traditional charm. Several different cultures live there together in harmony, surrounded by fantastic examples of Buddhist and Hindu temples, churches and mosques located next to each other.

Urbanism

Malacca is a coastal city, located directly where the Malacca River enters the sea. While the city center has a rather medieval urban grid, with densely built houses and narrow streets, the periphery is organized as semi-independent neighborhoods similar to those of a garden city. The center itself is a place of complex cultural influences and apart from Chinatown it is home to a Museum district with Dutch and Portuguese heritage and a small Little India to the north. With the construction of a new boulevard on the seafront, most of the traffic avoids the center, which is becoming more pedestrian friendly.

You may view the whole text here: http://happyfrogtravels.com/guide-malacca-city-malaysia-tree-of-cultures/


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.098s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0456s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb