Malaysia to Singapore


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Melaka » Melaka City
August 16th 2006
Published: August 19th 2006
Edit Blog Post

After leaving the KL in Malaysia we ran to the bus station and headed down to Maleka still in Malaysia. Meleka is a 400 year old city that has been colonized by the Chinese, Portugese and English during its history. After getting there, wondering around for about an hour looking for a place to stay we settled on a hotel next to the bay. It wasn't anything special but it had a real shower. IE it was more than a hot water heater hung opposit from the toilet. (Motel 6 is luxurious, even with its small towels). In attempt to find an internet cafe we ended up at a great little guest house with a colorful assortment of travelers and decided to stay there the next night. I introduced myself to the group around the table and asked what they were up to in Meleka. After a short convo a group of 8 of us decided to go site seeing the following day. After moving to the new guesthouse, Chelsea decided to enjoy the delicious air-con and cheap internet while I went off with a group of English chaps. As you can see we visited the Maritime museum, met the lockness
KLKLKL

Could you believe we had a hard time finding this place?
monster, and visited some amazing 400 year old temples. We ate an amazing lunch at a little shop in China town which cost $0.50 for rice, pork, soup, and a soda. I love cheap food. After a day of wondering the city we met up with Chelsea and decided to visit the local public pool. However, just as we arrived the power went out and we had to revert to plan B-break into 4-star hotel and use there pool. While we weren't the slickest bunch they didn't throw us out and we enjoyed a nice swim in a terraced pool. The evening festivities included the four d's-dining, drinking and dancing= debauchery. It was a great time, and the following day we parted ways and Chelsea and I were off to Singapore.

Singapore is very, very, very clean. I don't know how many people they employ to pick of garbage but it’s quite a few. We stayed in Little India which was filled with wonderful Indian food, interesting outdoor markets, and quite a few brand new hostels. While we planned to stay in one it ended up being full, but we met an, American, a real live American who was from California. Not surprisingly he wasn't traveling he was working in Singapore. (American's work WAY too much) He's been in the city for 2 weeks so he became our unoffical tour guide and night time entertainment. The following day we explored the hundreds of computer shops, and computer malls around the city. I was completely overwhelmed, but it was great seeing all the new technology. That night I went to the largest club I have ever seen. It was called the Ministry of Sound and it is the largest one in the world. Check out the link if you’re curious. http://www.ministryofsound.com.sg/ It had so many themes and private rooms, and lights it was like a kid in a candy shop. I now know the difference between a bar with dancing and a true club. The following day Chelsea, Alex, and I were off to Sentosa Island. This island was a trip because it was 100% man made. You reach it by cable car, and it feels like you have entered Tropical Disneyland. After being in the city for so many days it was great to sit on a beach and swim in the ocean even if it was man-made and overlooking one of the largest shipping ports in the world. That night I had a craving for home and enjoyed a 64oz Blended strawberry margarita. Never as good as Varttas, but close. The next day Chelsea and I were back to Northern Thailand to explore Chiang Mai and the jungles.



Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

KLKL
KL

Best buds:) and Jeans!
KLKL
KL

I LOVE monkeys!!
MelekaMeleka
Meleka

The Meleka crew!
MelekaMeleka
Meleka

Who wants to go swimming?
MelekaMeleka
Meleka

WARNING! Old men grabbing little girls butts!


Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0472s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb