The attack of the ashtray


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Melaka » Melaka City
April 6th 2008
Published: April 6th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Hello Group,

After using the free internet on Saturday we headed up to the revolving restaurant in Penang to enjoy a congrats on making 2months dinner- the buffet was immense and there was no way we could've done it justice but it was worth it for the views alone. Although the obvious movement made us both a little bit dizzy.

Sunday was a disappointing day as we became aware for the first time in weeks that it was the weekend with nothing open- restaurants,muesems everything appeared to be closed. We headed to fort cornwallis- unaware that is wasnt open so after taking some photos of the outside and closed gates we went for a wonder around the colonial district which had some beautiful buildings (including HSBC) and down to the marina which seemed to be the busiest part of the town. However the lack of open things to do left us at a bit of a loose end for the last few hours of the day- so we filled in a classic British way and headed to the British Pub for a pimms and english food!! We headed out that evening to see if we could find a film to watch but sadly they all seemed to be closed or showing french films!! So off to bed we went.

Monday was a travelling day as we had a quick bite to eat before heading to the bus station where we experienced our first taste of the malaysia downpours. The bus journey was 5hours, seemed to drag as we both needed the toilet, but smooth as there's a lot more space on malaysian buses and for a lot of the journey it wasn't full! On board we met the Coopers- a brother sister duo from LA both mid twenties- consequently when arriving in the highlands and following pretty much the whole bus to the same guesthouse we ended up sharing a family room with the coopers- the option was the expensive air con own bathroom or dorm so this seemed a happy medium. Libby and I headed out to book a tour for the next day and have a bite to eat- When we returned it appered a second round of drinking games was about to begin but sadly with only beer on offer i had to sit out. There was a classic swedish boy who appeared to be an Ikea expert-naming all types of furniture and bringing the conversation back to it everytime!! The game ended just gone 1 when a johnny vegas lookalike threw up continously for 10minutes in front of everyone making no effort to move- soooo glad i wasnt in his dorm!!! Went to bed for the first time in months cold due to the cooler climate of the highlands!

Tuesday morning got the coopers up at 8am despite going to bed at 4 so they could do the tour in the morning and a hike in the afternoon- we meanwhile lay in bed until 12 then got up and borded our tour bus at 145- much more sociable an hour! The highland tour which consisted of us 2 and an american/french couple took us firstly to a temple which was more chinese than most of them in thailand and not the highlight on this particular tour! The rose garden was up next- a glorified garden centre but with amazing views- it was relaxing though to sit on a bench surronded by plants i just didnt necessarily want to do it for 40mins!! The butterfly farm was next and already filled with apprehension at the thought of butterflies buzzing around my head we were both traumatised to arrive and be greeted by a man getting a beetle the size of my hand out of the cage and thrusting it in our faces to have a photo taken. We both jumped back proclaiming him sick and disgusting, we then realised there were beetles, trantualas, scorpians, snakes, igunanas- pretty much anything u can imagine was there- surronding us in cages that seemed to have gaps in!! We briefly feigned interest in them before moving into the butterfly farm which was beautiful- they were small, big, brightly coloured, pale etc and just flew around freely which freaked me out when something touched my hair but was a great experience!! Sadly there also appeared to be a bit of a butterfly massacre with wings strewn on the floor!! While the american/french duo took many many photos of snakes etc we sat and waited to leave this zoo!! The strawberry farm appeared more to be a shop and after buyin some we went to the tea plantion which was the main highlight for me. It was 600acres, included a factory and mock tudor houses. The scale was unimaginable and after a quick factory tour we settled in for tea and scones, the local BOH tea was up to scratched so we splashed out in the shop!! Finally we stopped at the bee farm but didnt actually see a bee- bar the massive fake plastic ones- as they are put in there boxes at 3pm! It was a good way to see the area but you realise what the difference is between the expensive holiday guides (twee) and this as there wasnt really any information but still would definatley recommend it! That evening libby and I branched out into Steamboat the local delicacy- a platter of raw meat, fish, noodle and egg is given to you as well as boiling water and boiling Tom Yam soup for you to cook your own which we duly did- it was lovely food but we kind of didnt no what we were doing and it made Libby slightly ill the next day- we now know why all the other westerners seemed to have a local with them leading them the way!! That night everyone sat around the campfire chatting etc which was nice, sadly Adam Cooper decided this was an opportunity to drink a lot and not come to bed all night instead just popping in and out waking us up!!

Wednesday will be forever known as the worst day so far as it involved a mugging, rain storms and soaking bags. We had a late start- again unlike the Coopers and headed to the bus station- all travelling is so independant in Malaysia and hopped aboard, bar a small change of bus (total downgrade) the journey was quick and smooth despite the lightening, thunder and torrential rain! However when we arrived in KL it all went wrong. The rain was still beating down and it would appear the bus isnt sealed right so my bag was literally soaked through- clothes ran etc and when they opened the door libbys rolled right into a puddle. Putting on our raincoats (on us and the bags) we followed the bulk of the group until we saw somewhere we could sit out the rain or one of us pop out to look for a room. We stopped in starbucks- outside on the basis the air con would've given our wet bodies and bags pneumonia. Libby went in to order drinks while i sat with the stuff, her bag on the table in front of me, mine on my lap. I felt a tap on my shoulder, turned around, there was a man who gesteruing having used his flip flops to tap me, i turned away thinking he was clearly insane. He tapped me again and this time picked the ashtray up off the table he was at and mock threw it at me before actually throwing the ash etc at my face. I turned around and immediatly sensed something was wrong as another man was disppearing down the stairs looking back at me and the flip flop throwing ashtray man had disappeared. With my heart beating at 1000beats a second i reached into libs back and relaxed briefly as i felt her phone or so i thought- as she came out i told her what had transpired and she realised what i thought was her phone was actually her Ipod and her phone was gone. Both completely shaken, i popped across to the first hotel/guesthouse that we saw that had been recommended by people in the highlands and took a room, getting completely soaked in the process as the rain near the curb was coming up to my knees. We sorted out the phone situation and managed to head out for dinner and to use the internet before having an early night after an emotionally exhausting day. Also decided this was the day to crack out some chocolate and all the things i'd been saving for a rainy day e.g. expandable flannel!


Thursday morning brought a more exciting twist to the phone drama, although nowhere near worth the actual robbery. We went to the police headquaters to be greeted by a very unsympathetic character who was all jokey oh your phone, oh chinatown bla bla. Basically we needed to head to the toursit centre where there was a toursit police booth. We opted in to the police transport as opposed to spending our precious cash on another taxi so in we hopped to be surronded by battons etc and footlocks so we kept our legs spread apart for fear of an accidental lock in/suspecting every police officer to be corrupt!!We even had to change police cars en route before arriving and making our statement, which proved challendign in the sense of language barriers. After filling out a police report for insurance reasons and spending hours telling them where this starbucks was so they could then send a few police officers into the area just for extra measure we left and headed to the central market for some lunch and shopping to cheer libby up! After some retail therapy we headed back to shower (and admire our purchases) before going to the Sky Bar atop of the Traders Hotel with the coopers. We went early to have a bite to eat and the view was AMAZING, its literally next to the Petronas Towers and is all open plan so you get a view of the entire city. Only brother Cooper showed up as sister was tired so after a Lychee Love cocktail (which costs a fortune but you get what u pay for view wise) and many photos we headed to the cheaper and less impressive bar near our hotel. After a pleasant evening we went back and slept like the dead- ready to take on a few tourist sights the next day!

Friday started with nowhere to eat breakfast so we headed back to starbucks to face our fears! Then off to the colonial district and the main square hoping to pop into a musem but again they seemed to be closed- not sure what we're doing wrong. After spending the morning walking around that area and near the river the rains then came so we hopped into a taxi to the towers- the view was never going to be as good as last night so after a photo or two we popped in the shopping mall to be greeted by M and S, Topshop, FCUK basically every shop imaginable. We opted for lunch while taking in this overwhelming place and highlighted all the places we wanted to go. We managed to keep our purchases to a bare minimum e.g. a piece of food each from M and S but after returning to our hotel empty handed we were both depressed, me about some shorts and libby about jeans and a top so we headed back to the shops at 7ish to buy up!!! We went to bed without dinner having had a late lunch and M and S treats!!

Saturday was time to leave the stressful city of KL,the much more relaxed Melaka. First however we had to tackle the bus station which was so cahotic it was like being back in India!! Booked a bus for half an hours time at 1130 ran back to get our bags and arrived in Melaka only 2hours later!! Literally shortest journey i've had since leaving home!! We struggled to find a room in Melaka initially before settling somewhere near Jonkier Street. We went for a wonder around the 2 main chinatown streets which are lined with great shops and we found a great smoothie place which we returned to for roasted vegtable lasange. I'm a big Melaka fan as its so easy to walk around and pop in and out of things as well as a more relaxed pace of life! We had a wonder along the night market near us as well.

This morning we walked around the Little Amsterdam area- complete with fake windmill- and then popped into have our haircut. I desperatley needed it to encourage the curls to grow through while Libby i persuaded as i wasnt going to do it alone!! the postitive is that it will now grow quicker etc as the split ends have gone etc and especially in the sun, the negative is thats its REALLY SHORT, and there was an awful awful moment where she cut this one bit at the back like at root, i was LIKE NOOOOO never again and there are a few bits on the right side that are like half the length as the rest but alas i suppose it will be sorted by the time i return to civilisation aka london. We continued walking around for an hour or two before stumbling upon carreforre- i now miss france as well as england!! Tonight i think we might try a night market further away and some street food. We're going to the musem of enduring beauty tomorrow fingers crossed its open! Off to singapore bright and early tuesday morning and less than a week left in south east asia before Oz on saturday which is very exciting!!!

Hope everyones well
lots of love xxxxxxxxxxxx


Advertisement



7th April 2008

starbucks crime scene
sounds to me as though you dealt with it all brilliantly but what a trauma and hope you are both ok now. A painful reminder that you are still rich pickings in some of thes places. Personally, I never liked KL and now I definitely don't! SE Asia draws to a close, what an amazing experience. Look forward to your culleton style journal and reflections on your return. Melacca sounded fun. Bet you are both looking forward to a bit of luxury with Ann in Singapore . We are now back from Kerala and Kitty back tomorrow (also my missing suitcase hopefully!) love and miss you mamak xxx
7th April 2008

What an account!
Gosh So... what an ordeal on this week's blog! It already seems that travelling is going to be such a good experience and toughen you up for sure! Uni will seem a breeze! Can't wait for Oz tails.... Missing you lots! Jut been checking out 'infinity' holiday and looks like we're going to have a fab week... love you x
7th April 2008

So sorry you had such a nasty experience but at least it was non-violent crime! What I don't understand is why on the discovery that the only available films were french you decided to head beack to bed??? surely a linguistic genius such as yourself was longing for a cultural, foreign language film?! Much love, as always! xxxxxxxxx
10th April 2008

Dont know where to start soph after this blog as so much seemed to happen to u! I'll just say that im jealous of ur tea plantation experience, im sure that was a big deal for u and i hope u save some of this amazing tea for when your back to make us after a drunken evening. much love xxx

Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0459s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb