Kuala Lumpur


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Kuala Lumpur
April 19th 2010
Published: April 27th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Kualar Lumpur - Muddy Confluence in the local tongue. If a muddy confluence it once was, it certainly isn't any more and has obviously come a long way! I have never seen such a clean and well organised city. The spaceport/airport is almost frightening in our culture shock and we duck in to a diner to order french fries and plan our next move.
It becomes apparent that China Town has by far the cheapest guesthouses so we negotiate buses and sky trains and soon find an affordable but comfortable room overlooking the busy high street.
Malaysia is far too expensive for our budget so we only stay three days before heading North on a train and crossing the Thai border. We soak up as much of the city in the time available to us and really enjoy our stay there.

Ness: "...We arrive in the bustling metropolis that is Kualar Lumpur. Going from India to somewhere so modern is unnerving, the fact that we are truly clean for the first time since leaving the Uk is even more disturbing. There is a large part of me that wants to jump back on that plane and demand to be taken back. Bring me dirt, cows and rickshaws!!!..."

Ness: "...Chinatown is a popular place and seems to cater for the holiday market with souvenirs on every corner and a huge open market. Every t-shirt features a beer brand or a 'label'. We continue our eternal search for vegetarian food resorting to our only option of fries in burger bars. I am beginning to think that any vegetarians here must have died of hunger some time ago...."

Tom: "...From the balcony of our guesthouse we watch the vibrant and ethnically diverse populace go about their daily business, a sea of colour and culture...."

Tom: "...We meet an Australian rock band trapped in KL due to the volcano in Europe temporarily halting their German tour. We sit in a club full of gyrating bodies and drink long in to the night. However, we can't escape the ever present feeling we don't really belong here...."

Tom: "...I am feeling the withdrawal from not having an instrument on the road and wander in to a music shop accidentally buying a cheap guitar on the way out. With a few adjustments back at our room it turns out to be a really
Hugest mall i have ever seen!Hugest mall i have ever seen!Hugest mall i have ever seen!

The mall beneath the Patronis Towers is mind boggling! You could get lost for weeks amongst the many levels and labyrinthine corridors and enclaves. However, not one veggie food establishment...
nice little buy...."

Ness: "...On this our last day we discover the area known as the Indian Quarter or 'Little India' and quicken our pace towards the sign bearing 'vegetarian food'. Cockroaches, grim toilets and staring eyes.. Yep, this really is our beloved India. We order curries and feast!..."


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.217s; Tpl: 0.028s; cc: 18; qc: 81; dbt: 0.0694s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb