Little Lylias Chill Out -Enter the Wild (Artist) Man of Borneo


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Kedah & Perlis » Pulau Langkawi
February 28th 2007
Published: March 10th 2007
Edit Blog Post

So , after watching another spectacular sunset on Langkawi's Pentai Cenang beach, we decide to expore the remainder of the 2 km stretch . Being a Muslim country alcohol is not exactly the nos 1 priority so after three days of being here we STLL haven't found somewhere for a cheeky cocktail by the shore !!

After enquiring at numerous Alchol free bars which offer the same answer everytime - ""there isn't one here" we refuse to give up hope and head south with our rum punch radars on full alert. We are right to follow our instincts as we eventually hear the faint sound of Mylo in the distance and subsequently pans into view a places, set back ,nestled away down the far end of the beach undar a canopy of palm trees the type of place that we had hoped would be there all along - Little Lylias Chill Out Cafe.

Chilled, Goan vibe like with the promise of Live music in the offing a little later , we do not need any persuasion in spending the rest of the night here . After being introduced to the inspiration of this watering hole - a 2 year old girl running around in the nod introducing herself to anyone and everyone that takes her interest. She is in fact the daughter of the owner who hails from Hertfordshire no less - oh well its a small world.


The 4 piece band ( including double bass !) make their entrance with a chilled renditon of Neil Youngs 'Heart of Gold ' and mix up the repetoire with various Malay favourites such as 'Trek trek trek 'and 'Jingli Nona '( love songs apparantly ). The intimitant flashes of lightening and rumbles of thunder that could be seen and heard out at sea does not duly concern anyone for a good hour until a sudden crack and even closer bolt threatens to curtail proceedings and electrocute the guitarists simultaneously. Somehow I think they are used to these sudden outbursts around this parts as seconds later everyone including the band has evacuated under the shelter of the palm tree covers and the singing becomes more vociferous then before. Afrter chatting to Lylia's Grandparents who are on vacation from England visiting both daughters into the bargain a bit we are warned that a visit from the local celebriy is more than likely to happen at any moment. They are not wrong. As if on cue, minutes later a bizarre, odd shoed individual with dark skin, white flowing beard and huge expressive eyes wearing an ostentacious waistcoast that would suggest artitic pretensions saunters in and immediatly takes centre stage. At 61 he shows no signs of slowing down ...in fact the opposite would be nearer the mark.

After grabbing one of the band members guitars and belting out what I can only summise as on of his own numbers he ciculates the bar flirting with every woman in the place until he gets to us where upon he decides to take a theatrical bow and intrduces himself to us....


His name?



- The Wild Man of Borneo !




Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Locale 'artiste'Locale 'artiste'
Locale 'artiste'

NO WOMAN NO CRIME !


Tot: 0.116s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0463s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb