Macau


Advertisement
Macau's flag
Asia » Macau
May 13th 2006
Published: May 15th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Final HK SunriseFinal HK SunriseFinal HK Sunrise

View from our room before my departure from Hong Kong
Last night I decided that if the weather was clear this morning, I'd take a helicopter ride to Macau. It was going to be a splurge, so I wanted to make sure to get the most out of it. This morning when I looked out the window to find this magnificent day, I decided to go for it.

I don't remember ever taking a helicopter ride before. I'm pretty sure this was my first. So I was excited as I walked across the launch pad, and stopped to take a picture even though the attendants were rushing me on. We took off from the same place that you'd catch the ferry to Macau -- a pier along the coast of Central HK. Though the morning had been clear, the a mid-morning haze was settling in -- but I was determined to get at least a few cool photos. It was cooler and more clear live, but these photos are the best I could get. Definitely a new perspective on HK as we departed, and a birds-eye introduction to Macau as we arrived.

As you may be able to see from the aerial shot, Macau can look a lot like Vegas, and is definitely known as a gambling getaway. I wasn't much interested in that, and was visiting Macau more for it's interesting architecture, blending it's Chinese and Portuguese heritage.

Basically I just wandered around the island all day, being a straight-up tourist and snapping photos. I did dip into one of the older casinos -- the Lisboa -- to get a flavor for that aspect of the island. It was pretty much like anywhere in Vegas, though less focused on slots in favor of card/table games. Very crowded and smoky, but the architecture was pretty interesting. Lots of phoenix and wing motifs all around. I wasn't able to take pictures in the actual casino, but got a couple of good shots: a carp-loaded fish tank in the attached restaurant, and the beautiful mosaic of Portuguese ships above the lobby, where there was also a golden-dragon-ship-sculpture thing in the center. Whatever it was, it was pretty and shiny so I took a picture. lol

I continued my wanderings past the Governor's Residence, the A-Ma temple, and then around some of the ruins/remnants from the Portuguese presence on Macau.

On a cultural note, I will say that there were fewer English speakers here, and by the end of the day, struggling to figure out how to get a cab back to the ferry for HK, I was certainly glad to be heading to English-speaking Singapore! We're staying at the Four Seasons, which is a big change from the HK Sheraton -- no breathtaking city view, but a much more spacious, posh accommodation. Tomorrow is Sunday (Mother's Day -- HI MOM!!), so Ed's not working and we can explore Singapore together. More on that tomorrow!

Starting to get homesick, but still having a wonderful time ...

Missing ya'll madly --

Christopher


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement



18th May 2006

portugese custards
your photos of macua are awesome. sorry i couldn't join you in your excursion.

Tot: 0.118s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 55; dbt: 0.073s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb