Day trip to Macao


Advertisement
Macau's flag
Asia » Macau
October 4th 2007
Published: October 4th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Kun IamKun IamKun Iam

The lady is emerging from the lotus flower
Today was another early start for an 8am pick up so that I can join the other people on the tour group to Macao. We had to line up at the ferry terminal to go through passport control, it was so busy because last Monday was China National Day, it goes for a week and many Chinese people make the trip to Macao for shopping as there is no sales tax on goods there and of course for the gambling at 1 of 28 casinos. The Ferry was actually a very fast catamaran, like the Jet Cat in Sydney but much much bigger. Crossing the South China Sea was a bit lumpy but all in all considering that I don't like boats (seasick- yuck!) it wasn't too bad. I listened to my mp3 player and just focussed on the music.

Arrived in Macao about 10.30 and our group was met by "Mario", a Portugeuse guy that has called Macao home for 25 years. First impression was how different it was to Hong Kong, a lot more relaxed lifestyle I believe. The harbour looked really dirty but Mario said that it is brown because it is where the Peral River meets
Inside Kun IamInside Kun IamInside Kun Iam

This is one of many etchings on the ceiling inside the lotus flower that Kun Iam sits on top of
the South China Sea. We were driven around in a minibus, and thankfully it was airconditioned because we got out quite a few times to look at sights and take photos, but boy it was soooo hot !!

The first sight we saw and my very favourite was the statue of Kun Iam, which was designed by a Portuguese woman. It is based on Kwan Yin, the female equivalent of Buddha. She stands on top of a white lotus flower which is the symbol for Macao. Her face was very serene looking. She was presented to the city in 1998, the year before Macoa was handed back to the Chinese.

We saw many other sights also, including the ruins of St Paul's which was awesome. Along side the carvings of Christ and the Angels there are also Fu dogs (Lions), representing the blend of cultures. The A- Ma Temple is the oldest building in Macao and was the first thing the Portuguese saw when they landed in Macao 450 years ago. The Chinese flock to the temple to ask for good fortune, particularly if they are going to the casino afterwards!!

At one point we could see
A-Ma TempleA-Ma TempleA-Ma Temple

The temple was packed with people asking for blessings
China , with a barbwire fence on the Macao side!! To be so close to China was great, and I'll get there one day, but to do it this trip would not have been sufficient time. One day I'd like to spend a fair bit of time there.

There are masses of new constructions being built, and those damn bamboo scaffolding is everywhere. It amazes me, but I was told that it's very strong.

We finished the tour with a short stop at the Grand Emperor Casion, owned by Jackie Chan. In the floor of the foyer there are 88 gold bars weighing 1kg each laid under special glass tiles. The number 8 is very lucky in Chinese culture, I guess Jackie Chan is hoping for lots of money to go into the casino and not come out ! Well, he didn't get any of my money ......lol lol lol I will add some other photos once I have downloaded from the memory card.

The ferry trip was very very lumpy. We were advised not to leave our seats because of the conditions, but I didn't need any convincing of that at all!! Now, 3 hours later
Ruins of St Paul'sRuins of St Paul'sRuins of St Paul's

This view was taken from the bottom of the steps and looking from the side
I am still feeling woozy, and out of balance.

Tomorrow is a rest day for me, so I'll just take it easy, try to have some yum cha and then just meander around. I've a late flight back to Bangkok, around 10.30pm, so I guess the first day back there will be quiet too.

Take care everyone, miss you so much Kayla xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Love Di (Ama, Mum, Diane, Aunty Di, Aunty Diane, Aunty etc etc etc)


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

St PaulSt Paul
St Paul

Can you see the mix of cultures in the carvings?
PavementPavement
Pavement

Most pavements are made like this with tiles from Portugal hand laid
Side StreetSide Street
Side Street

Evidence of the Portuguese influence


5th October 2007

hi di i'm so glad your having a good time you deserve it wish i was with you miss you love kathy
5th October 2007

green with envy
Hi Di, So glad you are now living your dream and sounds like it is not a night mare after all being there alone, you make me feel like I am with you in your travels, so look forward to a big long yack when you return to "the real world" love ya and miss ya Shaz
5th October 2007

Wish you were with me too Kath, but things happen for a reason and perhaps this trip is so that I can "test the waters" so that the trip we eventually take togethere will be bigger, better and more special. Hopefully we will have a reason to celebrate with James health improving after the transplant. Love you and miss you too, hang in there. Our guardian angels are watching !!
8th October 2007

Diane, your blog is marvelous. I so enjoy reading it. And the pictures are terrific. Love, Theresa

Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0414s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb