Macau


Advertisement
Macau's flag
Asia » Macau
July 9th 2007
Published: July 9th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Hello from Macau, a strange place! Were about to leave the city and fly to Bangkok, but in the meantime, since there is free internet at the airport.. Like I said, Macau is a very weird place, full of contradictions. Its in china but when you are there it gives you the feeling youre in Las Vegas. No traces of comunism. Everyone seems to be filthy rich for a start. I can say we were the worst dressed people in the city!!!Its full of huge hotels, casinos, lights everywhere, really expensive designer shops.. and its very clean (actually I read somewhere its the second cleanest city in asia after singapore), quiet.. in the streets, everything is written both in Chinese and Portuguese (thank god for that!) and it-s quite expensive, more or less BCN prices, even if we stayed in a very cheap smelly hostel - only later we realised it was full of prostitutes!! oh well!
We spent 3 nights and two days here. We arrived very tired, after a 12 hour flight fom London, a ferry journey from Hong Kong, etc, so we didnt do much the first night. The second day we spent going around the peninsula, which is quite cool, since its a mix of colonial portuguese and chinese architecture. Other things that prove that Macau is a strange place is that it has two islands but there are no boats or ferrys. The first island (Taipa) is connected to the peninsula with 3 very long really cool bridges. And even if they are 2 different islands, they are connected to each other by.. land! They have taken away the space to the water and built a fucking golf court!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Coloane, the second island, is a very nice place, full of vegetation. It has two beaches, but theyre almost deserted (they arent very nice anyway) because chinese people dont seem to like becoming tanned (they walk around with umbrellas when its sunny). We went to the furthest point on the second beach and walked back all the way to Coloane village, which is a tiny little sweet town. From there, we took the bus to Taipa, but we soon realised there wasnt much to do there, it was just a small version of the peninsula, very tall buildings, shops, ... we actually went into a supermarket, and it felt like we could have been in any city in Europe! Food, however, is Asian, so you can imagine weve had our dose of noodle soup and rice!


TOP TEN BEST MOMENTS IN MACAU
- Iztok ordering some fruit in a shop next to our hotel and the lady nodding that she had understood what we wanted and falling asleep at the same time. Either narcolepsia or the lady was nuts!
-Going through the fever scan at the airport! They have special cameras that detect if anyone has flue, because of the bird flu epidemy.
-Crossing the bridge between one island and the other on the bus!!! COOOOOLLLL!!
-Our faces when we realised the nice girls in the rooms next to us in the hostel were ladies of the night!

Anyway.. this is all for now, kisses to everyone, photos will come later!!!!!!

PS. PERDONEU QUE ESCRIGUEM EN ANGLES, PERO ES IMPOSSIBLE TRADUIRHO, I HEM PENSAT QUE AIXI HO PODRIA LLEGIR MES GENT I QUE, EN QUALSEVOL CAS, TOTS PARLEM ANGLES, OI PAPA???? JEJEJEJE 😊

ps. Upava da boste razumeli ker piseva v anglescini, ampak tako je dosti lazje za naju, vi pa tako ali tako vsi govorite anglesko! 😊

Advertisement



9th July 2007

Wow!
I think you're the first people I meet who have visited Macao (does it really exist?). Be safe and have lots of fun!Kisses!
9th July 2007

Ulala
Iztok and Anna, it is really nice that you have opened a blog (I have sent you a comment last Friday but it haven’t shown). I am really happy that you enjoy the journey. It is good that the cultural sock is not big. The macau sound like a developed city and I am sure that you are waiting for new adventures, so you could fill in the top ten moment. Nice way to present interesting moments. I wish you all the best and write us as soon as possible.
10th July 2007

Bon viatge!!
eoeo!! m'alegro de tenir noticies vostres i veure que començeu a disfrutar de l'aventura!! espero saber aviat un altre cop i sobretot veure fotos!! anna, vigila no em pillis la gripe aquesta aquest cop, fes-me el favor! jeje jo us esciure un mail en quant estigui tranquila vale??? petonets guapos i cuideu-vos!! muaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0556s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb