Walks along the Mekong with Bagheera, Tigba, Mira and Barolo


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » West » Vientiane
December 25th 2014
Published: December 25th 2014
Edit Blog Post

The MekongThe MekongThe Mekong

Early morning walk
Not normally an early riser but even I recognise the necessity to be up and out with the dogs before the morning heat sets in. 6am Karen and I call each other awake across the courtyard of the spacious Bali style house.(former ambassador imported it?) The dogs pile into the back of big Honda and we drive through the still dark streets down to the Mekong, misty, swift flowing. Beautiful.







Then its a tough enough hike through the sands to the banks , the dogs excited and they quite often jump into the water especially in the evening when they are hot and dusty and I kind of feel like following them except that no one seems to swim, the current is swift and I could end up in Thailand just across the river.



Nearly an hour of this, hike back to the car and by now the traffic is setting in and we drive back through the early morning (well all day now) chaos. Except nothing can beat the traffic of Hanoi.



And we repeat all this in the early evening so hopefully will be getting fit!
the Mekongthe Mekongthe Mekong

Tigbo taking the plunge








We have been in Laos now for a week. The house is located just outside the main centre and an oasis of calm with the dogs, 3 cats, some fish (not to let the pond dry out!), 2 chickens and a guinea fowl who I am growing quite attached too.



The family are away now so its all quietened down, but we get into the car, and drive in to explore one of the many Temple complexes, or the mini mart for cornflakes and my hunt for Lipton tea (the closest tea to Nambarrie ). Also I have my eye on exploring a big craft market.







Big plus again is the food which is wonderful, sticky rice, spicy chicken, stir fry veg or the local morning glory which is a kind of spinach in sauce. And as a plus the ice cream is good too. So of an evening we have explored the street cafes set up along the banks after sunset or watched (watched only mind you as it is still about 28degrees) the aerobic sessions along the prom. Mad or what!







So wishing you all joyful and peaceful Christmas.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

CourtyardCourtyard
Courtyard

Note the Lao style Christmas Decorations


Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 40; dbt: 0.0322s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb