Laos in a few words


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » West » Vientiane
May 27th 2011
Published: May 27th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Ok. Laos internet is driving me crazy. Filmed a sweet greeting for Claire's Hen's this weekend and was told it was going to take 5 hours to upload. I have nearly thrown a few tantrums in the 'Hi Speed' internet cafes...

So here is a quick summary to make sure you are all updated 😊

1 Crossed border from Thailand over the Mekong River into Huay Xai and got a bus up to Luang Nam Tha. Laos is BEAUTIFUL. full of thick rainforest covered in misty cloud (rainy season)
2 Did another overnight trek, this time going into the rainforest and staying with a really remote riverside village of Khamu people just near Luang Nam Tha. Brilliant Brilliant experience.
3 Headed down to Luang Prabang - UNESCO World Heritage Site. Saw a lot of temples. Swam in a beautiful waterfall. Met some cool people and had a water buffalo burger for dinner (two nights in a row. it was that good!)
4 Headed to Vang Vieng. The 18-30s prime destination of South East Asia. Strangest place I've ever been in my life with outstanding natural beauty (limestone karsts towering over the river winding through the valley) and full of drunken/stoned Falang (foreigners) stumbling through town in their swimsuits (bear in mind that Lao people swim fully clothed for how disrespectful this is) and watching back to back episodes of Friends or Family Guy. We went tubing (the main reason for this debauchery) but steered clear of the 'happy' shakes and food (laced with your choice of mushrooms, marijuana or opium) in favour of a couple of beer lao. Still managed to lose my 'same same' Prada sunnies I picked up in Chiang Mai.
5 Now I'm chilling in Vientiane, the capital - getting my Visa for Vietnam sorted before heading down South to chill in the 4000 islands. Off to Vietnam on 2nd (thank you Drew for booking my flight for me!) and looking forward to seeing Gin and Iain!!

Hopefully vietnamese internet will make uploading pics more possible!
H xx

Advertisement



Tot: 0.125s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0625s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb