Week 10/11 Laos


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » West » Vientiane
March 30th 2006
Published: March 30th 2006
Edit Blog Post


From Qui Nhon I cycled through more hills to Hoi An where we spent a full day relaxing. Hoi An is a shopping heaven....pretty much every shop is a tailors where you can have absolutely anything you like tailor made to your measurements for pennies. Had to get something made so went to Yalys and had a skirt and top made. Definately the place to go if you are on a mad clothes shopping spree, you could actually go crazy....The town is small but filled with small cafes and restaurants making it perfect to chill out in before cycling again.

From Hoi An it was a long cycle to Hue further north which included a 7 mile uphill ride through a mountain pass. I dont think i have been in so much pain or sworn so much before lol, but i made it to the top without walking and with only a couple of water stops so not bad. Possibly the best coffee ever at the top where it was cold, windy and misty (felt like we were back in England). The cycle down was worth the misery and every hill after that felt like a mere bump. The last section of the 120km day was a 30km flat stretch through rice paddies and small villages....a nice way to end!

Hue was the final town in Vietnam before heading to Laos so I spent the final day wandering around the Citadel and riverfront to stretch the legs before our 24hr bus journey over 2 days.

I left Hue for Laos at 5am on the 27th March to Savannakhet on the west Lao-Thai border...an 12hr bus ride which went surprisingly quickly and without problems. From Savannakhet to Vientiane further north it was not so pleasant...the bus was over loaded with people, chickens and plants which in 36degrees over 12hrs was not much fun.

Vientiane is a welcome break and caters for the many british/american/french expats that live here. Tomorrow we leave once again to Vang Vieng where I will be white water rafting and kayaking for 2 days before heading further north.

Sending best wishes! x x x

Advertisement



30th March 2006

Sim, Great to hear you are well and appear to having a good time- be safe!! Love Michelle, J, and the boys
30th March 2006

Missing you
I wish i was there to witness the pain you have been putting your self in lol. I am missing you so much now and i can't wait for your return. Missing you and loving you Ryan xxxxx
3rd April 2006

greetings from london!
Well done on the cycling Sim! Very impressive! Sounds very very exhausting and a world away from life here in London, England! Am very very jealous! I love the sound of the shopping and having the clothes tailor made too....very exciting! Good luck with the rafting and kayaking - try not to fall off! lol! take some pics! Have a good one my lovely, Soph x

Tot: 0.25s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0409s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb