Allo allo


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » West » Vientiane
January 31st 2010
Published: February 2nd 2010
Edit Blog Post

We caught a tuk-tuk out to the bus station, now suspicious that it, like other bus stations in Laos, was deliberately located some distance from the town centre so that tuk-tuk drivers got the extra business. It took some time before we finally set off for Vientiane, but the journey was mercifully short once we started.

The minivan arrived shortly after midday and we found a guest house after a bit of wandering around. I was still feeling slightly under the weather so I returned there after Sammy had lunch until the temperature had dropped a bit later in the afternoon. Unfortunately the temperature in the room seemed to increase and I was quite glad to leave and visit Pha That Luang, an important national monument in Laos, and then the amusing Laos National Histoy Museum. The former was a temple complex with no particularly interesting features and the latter was simply sad - half of it was given over to bombastic publicising of the current regime and the other half was a clear illustration of why said regime really had nothing to boast about.

Later we headed out for dinner in one the nearby restaurants, still wondering where the busy part of this capital city was (there isn’t one). Sammy sorted out a tuk-tuk for our early morning transfer to the airport while I investigated the air conditioning provisions in our guest house. Our room had now become a bit of a sauna, and while Sammy would have been quite happy in these temperatures I paid for the owners to switch on the A/C machine.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.045s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0238s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb