Rest of Laos


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » West » Vientiane
May 19th 2009
Published: May 19th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Once again not done too much since last blog...mostly just chilling and saving some pennies for Vietnam...

The highlight of Luang Prabang had to be the dinner on the second night. I'm quite the fussy eater and before this trip started i knew i would have to be a bit more adventurous...soi what did this lead to? Some bbq goat! Yep! Goat! The bbq goat was actually alright, a bit chewy but quite tasty. A nice satay style sauce definitely helped though. The goat soup on the other hand...imagine what goat smells like, now imagine that as a taste and you have goat soup. It was foul! Disgusting! You name, it was it...well anything but good. It had the bits of goat that they didn't bbq...but my bravery wouldn't stretch to eating those bits.

Left Luang Prabang the next day, and headed to Vang Vieng. It was a 5 hour windy journey through the mountains and very scenic...that was until you realise that the Laos drivers don't really know how to drive. They overtake on blind bends, play chicken with the lorries...and is there anything to stop us going over the cliff...NOPE!! But we survived...and you don't get that kind of adrenaline pumping at Alton Towers!

Vang Vieng was ok. Very druggy and very boozey. Basically it's Chelmsford on a Friday and Saturday night, just that it's every night. The reason being is the tubing...3km in a tyre down the river stopping off at bars along the way. I was boring and skipped this...well, not so boring. I went on an Indianna Jones style adventure on my own to some caves.
I crossed bamboo bridges, walked through forests, saw the wildlife, stopped some evil doers and what did i find at the end...the cave was closed. Closed! But would that stop Indianna Jones. Nope! But it stopped me! There were several Laos people boarding up the caves and i didn't have anything to get past them...could have tried money but didn't think to. So i plodded on back to the hostel.
That evening we went to a "rock bar". It was shocking! The music was as close to rock music as i am to England right now. If we were back home we could have done them for false advertisement...oh well! We found another place and put on our own ipod and the night ended up being very chilled watching the lightning light up the mountains. Tres funky!

Now we are at today. Decided to get a local bus for under half the price of a tourist one. So, up at 4.30am, catch the bus and it's certainly interesting. The doors are left open most the time, they pile people on like there's no tomorrow...and once again they overtake lorries on blind bends. Crazy people! Got to Vientienne safe and sound though .

Fly to Vietnam tomorrow which should be good...catch you all soon
Paul
x

Advertisement



21st May 2009

Mmmm yummy
Goat - yummy!!!! I would imagine quite stringy!!! Sounds like you are having interesting times! Could you not get the people out of the way with your whip Iniana style......... When you get to Vietnam please say 'GOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooddddddddddddddd morning Vietnam!!!!! It's 06:00 hours, what does the O stand for? Oh my god its early!!!!

Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0413s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb