The Best Things. . .


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » West » Vientiane
February 6th 2007
Published: February 7th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Beautiful BuddhaBeautiful BuddhaBeautiful Buddha

Erin and I were so impressed with Lao art that we bought four prints.
". . . Are Those That Are Unexpected."


Laos took us completely by surprise. Our original plan was to jump the border before our Thai Visas expired, spend one night in Laos then come right back to Thailand and start heading south.

It's now been about a week and we just crossed back to Thailand two days ago.

What kept us there was a feeling that we were in a place that was truly special, and through our travels we have learned that this feeling is not to be ignored. Talking to different people on our trip we have heard the same sentiment over and over; enjoy it now because it won't be like this next time you're here. Granted this is true everywhere, change is inevitable. But it seems that countries like Thailand and Laos change at a completely different rate and we wanted to be part of it in its current state as long as possible.

Here's why...


We crossed the "Lao-Thai Friendship Bridge" to the capital city of Vientiane. Both Erin and I had read about the French influence in our books but we had no idea how strong it would be. There are numerous French restaurants; french architecture and the street vendors sell baguettes and cheese alongside the traditional Lao fare. We spent three days in Vientiane spoiling ourselves with insanely good food, watching sunsets over the Mekong River, and exploring numerous attractions.

One of the attractions in Vientiane was Buddha Park. It's a park set on the edge of the Mekong which holds hundreds of Buddhist and Hindu sculptures. It was created by a man who claimed to be a disciple of a cave-dwelling Hindu hermit in Vietnam. The park is supposed to reflect his philosophy on life. It was very interesting and a little bizarre.

We heard of our next destination in Laos from an English couple that sold their home and used the money to bankroll a yearlong trip around the world. Vang Vieng was the town they told us was a must visit. We took their advice; which turned out to be a great decision.

Vang Vieng is a backpacker hub about four hours outside of Vientiane. The town is set along the Nam Song River and in the background are sets of amazing rock formations. They are incredible limestone karsts that tower
The CatThe CatThe Cat

Wherever Erin goes a photo shoot of some random animal soon follows.
behind the river and rice fields, creating an unbelievable backdrop.

All activities are centered on the river and the mountains. To explore we went on a one-day trek. We left in the morning with our private guide, Boun. We saw four caves, two villages, and finished off the day with an hour and a half tube ride down the Nam Song River. It was so much fun! We explored a cave that no one has ever found the end of. Tubed into a water cave then swam in the complete darkness. Walked though villages and farms. And visited a riverside bar that is like nothing I have seen before. It was called the "fun park" and it definitely lives up to its name. There was a thirty-foot rope swing into the water, volleyball and bocce ball courts, and plenty of places to sit and relax along the river. I, of course, had to try out the rope swing, which was great, so I did it again. We finished the day with a relaxing tube ride down the river. Thanks to our guide Boun we made much better time than others. He actually pulled us behind his kayak since the
A Bamboo RaftA Bamboo RaftA Bamboo Raft

These kids were cruisin' down the river.
current wasn't strong due to the dry season. A feat that ultimately increased the tip we gave him (which he greatly appreciated).

We left Vang Vieng Monday the 5th. Both Erin and I have been struck with island fever so yesterday we hopped on an overnight train (12hrs) to Bangkok. We arrived here a few hours ago and are waiting for another overnight train (17hrs) to take us all the way to Hat Yai, near the Malaysia-Thai border. From there we are heading straight to the island of Ko Lipe (It better be sweet, Ryan!). We're excited to bounce around from island to island. We will be cruising our way back up the coast, hopefully leaving enough time to visit Cambodia's Angkor region before our adventure must end.

That's it for now. Hope everyone is doing great!!!

Love,

Mike & Erin





Additional photos below
Photos: 50, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

French BaguettesFrench Baguettes
French Baguettes

The french influence was delicious.
The Food in LaoThe Food in Lao
The Food in Lao

My sugar-aholic girlfriend was in heaven.
Colorful ThreadColorful Thread
Colorful Thread

This picture was taken at Vientiane's morning market.
Sunset Over VientianeSunset Over Vientiane
Sunset Over Vientiane

We found this amazing roof top bar right before sunset.
Cocktails?Cocktails?
Cocktails?

Yes, please!
The Happy CoupleThe Happy Couple
The Happy Couple

Erin and me at Buddha Park.
*Big Buddha * Tiny Erin**Big Buddha * Tiny Erin*
*Big Buddha * Tiny Erin*

Erin looks extra small next to this giant statue.
I See, I ClimbI See, I Climb
I See, I Climb

I just couldn't help myself. I just had to climb it.
Buddha ParkBuddha Park
Buddha Park

This park was "fantastically weird".
The Big GuyThe Big Guy
The Big Guy

This Buddha is the biggest we've seen yet.
UmmmmmmmmmmUmmmmmmmmmm
Ummmmmmmmmm

Erin strikes a pose.
Need For SpeedNeed For Speed
Need For Speed

Motorbiking is our favorite way to get around.
The Friendship BridgeThe Friendship Bridge
The Friendship Bridge

We caught this amazing view of The Friendship Bridge from our motorbike.


7th February 2007

Open up and say AWESOME!
I'm sitting at my desk at work turning green with envy. You're trip looks amazing! I wanna go!
8th February 2007

Oh, Yawn!
Oh, my goodness, another day in paradise . . . how boring that must be for you! Another beautiful day, another gorgeous sunset, more breathtaking scenery . . . blah, blah, blah. I'm sure you're so tired of it all, huh? NOT!!!!!!!!!! Gosh, and to think you could be home in the cold, rainy (finally) days of winter . . . . all kidding aside, I just love hearing from you! Send more animal photos!! Loved the most recent kitty!!! Can't wait to hear and see more from you!
9th February 2007

Cubilce
There's a couple of cubilces with your names on it back here in the good old USA. No sunsets, no cocktails. Are you sure your ever coming back ? Hmmmmmmmm ! Keep the excellent reports coming. Love , Dad V
19th April 2007

following your travel blog
Hi there! Just wanted to say I am really enjoying reading your blog and seeing all the photos. It's given me a few more places to add to my wish list of places to visit. The cat is gorgeous by the way!
17th May 2007

looks great still
hi just happened to fall upon your blog by chance i was last in laos in 1998 and it all looks as beautifull as i remember , loved buddha park to had one of the most interesting times in my travels there , tried there local tipple yet , what a mind blower :>)

Tot: 0.152s; Tpl: 0.048s; cc: 8; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0769s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb