mon day 115


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » West » Vang Vieng
May 15th 2015
Published: May 15th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Waking up and feeling much better after a good nights kip, kate and I decided that Vientiane didn't have a lot to offer and that maybe we should leave. So after walking to the end of the road to have some breakfast and then out to see the Mekong - which is a somewhat disappointing sight from the capital city, we booked our seats to Vang Vieng for 13.30. Grabbing some drinks and biscuits for the 4-5 hour minibus ride we were picked up sharp and then on our way. Sitting up front ( ive travelled in the back on enough roads in Laos!) it was quite an enjoyable journey. With the scenery dramatically changing from flat back to the lovely limestone hills of the north. With windy - but not too bumpy roads we travelled through some small villages with the usual cows, dogs, chickens and people ambling across or up the sides of the roads. With the road network in Laos being relatively recent some of the towns and villages well, literally hug the road sides. With the sun starting to set behind the hills as we arrived in Vang Vieng we had no problems finding our hotel. Booking in with the friendly staff and being given a pleasant room we unpacked our bits. Walking down the road to a recommended restaurant (from our rough guide books - now there's 2 of everything!) kate had her first Laos dish - laap ( minced meat or fish with a variety of herbs and spices ) it was my first Laos dish and its lovely. We also tried the vegetables with a chilli and buffalo hide dip - very spicy but very nice. I opted for papaya salad - more Thai than Lao - and also lovely. Walking back through the small town we settled down for the night.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.143s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 9; qc: 39; dbt: 0.0932s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb