Vang Vieng: BeerLao


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » West » Vang Vieng
December 19th 2012
Published: December 26th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Vang Vieng is well known as a hedonistic party town where tourists indulge in alcohol, magic mushroom shakes, anti-social behaviour...not so much anymore! Since several Australians died in quick succession whilst tubing under the influence, the Laos government swept in and burnt all the riverside bars, imposed an <a style="color: #1155cc;">11pm</a>curfew on all bars and heavy fines for anyone caught selling or taking drugs.

After a horrible 18 hour overnight journey with very little sleep, we arrived to find Vang Vieng somewhat of a ghost town in comparison to the wild stories we had heard. It was actually quite a tranquil and relaxed town overlooked by the spectacular Lao scenery! It was like 'spot the newcomers' as everyone was wearing their matching "tubing in Vang Vieng" shorts and vest combos!

All the backpackers were really approachable and keen for you to join their party for a few drinks to try and mask the fact there was no one in the bar apart from you!

On our first full day we hired some bikes and took them for a little spin of what must have been about 35-40km...not what your average backpacker would choose to do...their loss!



First we went to Yui waterfall, which we appreciated all the more for having cycled there in the hot sun over very bumpy terrain. The ticket lady was impressed, but not impressed enough to let us pass without paying!


We cycled back through a rural village in the depths of the mountains and high fived the curious local children as we passed.


After re-fuelling with two servings of pad thai, we cycled out to Poukham caves and blue lagoon where we had a bit of a dip to cool off.



The next day we were all set to go tubing until we or outside and found it raining!!!!! This is not what we signed up for! Optimistic we went to buy our tubing vests...you can't say been there, done that, got the t-shirt unless you actually do it so pressure was on to go tubing.


Luckily it brightened up in the afternoon, and we seized our opportunity. The tubing was a really cool experience floating slowly down the river in the shadows of the closest mountains. It was far removed from the stories of trance music and masses or drunken idiots... However Rach was gutted she couldn't take her camera and actually claimed that she didn't enjoy the experience as much for not having it! Another girl in our group took a picture of us and offered to email it to us....we are still waiting!

The next day on to Luang Prabang and another long stint on bus through the winding mountain roads.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.105s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 10; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0631s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb