No tubing for us...


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » West » Vang Vieng
January 18th 2011
Published: February 22nd 2011
Edit Blog Post

Toilet attendantsToilet attendantsToilet attendants

The kids probably work harder than the adults in Laos, these lot took our money to use the loos.
Well we were expecting to feel paranoid as soon as we entered this place as we had heard lots of stories about drugs in drinks and food and it is the party place where people come to do just that, but surprisingly we only had a couple of paranoid moments!

The first day we arrived we went to a local bar and ended up talking to 4 local guys; they soon invited us to drink with them; whisky lao aarrgghh!! This is when the 1st paranoid moment came when I thought that maybe the whisky was laced with something more sinister but as it is rude to refuse I went ahead and it was fine well it wasn’t but no hallucinations! We contributed beer and them more whisky and before we knew it we were quite merry.. Then the Mrs called one of them and they soon departed after this call – just the same at home then…

We went into town to get some food, we had heard that friends re-runs are played in lots of bars here but we didn’t expect this many to be showing them. We sat down and were soon sucked in, we initially
Pit stopPit stopPit stop

our roadside cafe.
thought we would like it but it was the opposite after 3 months without mind numbing TV it was horrible to get sucked in, needless to say we quickly ate our average western food and went back to the hotel!

The next day we hired a moped and went to explore; the first couple of hours were fine – the road was horrendous but we soon found a cave (Poukham Cave) we had been told about that has a blue lagoon at the bottom and it was lovely; we went to look at the cave which was not very impressive and after, we went swimming in the lagoon which was bliss! Then we got back on the bike to go on a tour we had seen in the lonely planet (which by the way we think is a load of rubbish) this is when things went a bit shit.. Dim did not see one bit of scenery because he had to concentrate so hard on the roads and I had a serious case of saddle sore – then came the small bickers of me saying I didn’t want to get a bike and Dim saying well why didn’t you say that then fair point! We did see some nice villages but it really wasn’t worth the effort or the pain but hey ho another experience!!

When we got back to the Vang Vieng we had a well deserved beer and watched the sunset and ate amazing jacket potatoes which was nice and then went to book bus tickets to get out of there for the next day, next stop Vientiane the capital city.

As we didn’t really do much in Vientiane we will not write a blog for it; a reasonable city with lots of cafés and some nice shops. We didn’t do much except spend 1 night in a very ruff guesthouse, post some things home and ate some cakes then we caught the night bus to Don Det..



Additional photos below
Photos: 29, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Whisky Loas boysWhisky Loas boys
Whisky Loas boys

check out the whisky in the bag, all what was missing was the goldfish!!
poserposer
poser

These men were lovely, didn't speak a word of English but ho needs to talk when you have alcohol!
The rocky roadThe rocky road
The rocky road

poor Dim had his work cut out negotiating these roads
villagevillage
village

we stopped for a drink at the side of the road here; it was really remote.


Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0326s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb