Party time


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » West » Vang Vieng
September 29th 2010
Published: November 25th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
Vang Vien is most famous for its ‘Tubing’, a boozy activity that involves floating on a tractor tire inner-tub, letting the current take you down river, then you get fished in with a rope by bars along the way. The bars have music played at speaker destroying volume and death defying slides, zip lines and swings (all hand built from bamboo!) for the drunkern backpackers to enjoy.
Apparently at least one person a year dies tubing (usually due to excess alcohol), we later found out that someone died not long after we left! Alcohol is the main factor for accidents and for the party animal westerners, there are free shots in each bar and ‘Bucket Cocktails’ containing more alcohol than a George Best breakfast.
Being sensible folk (and Carla being a bit sick) us and our buddy Robin settled on a few beers each, taking in the scenery and braving some of the ram-shackled rides, which were awesome and hilarious. It was a fun, unique and an unforgettable experience.

To see more of the scenic side of Vang Vien, (whilst Carla had some R&R) Jim and Robin with their guide Kum took a days hike through rice fields, jungles, steep hills and across rivers on bamboo bridges that even Indiana Jones would be too scared to cross. The half way point of the trek was an 8 metre high waterfall which the trekkers used to cool down by jumping in and swimming (well, thrashing against the strong current).

On our last day in Vang Vien the three of us went on a kayaking trip down river. The first stop involved more tubing, but this time through the Water Cave. We were all fitted with head lamps with huge batteries swung round our necks, they were surprisingly and thankfully waterproof, previously used in the war. We explored the Water Cave by pulling ourselves through the water on tubes then crawling through sandy tunnels, (not for the claustrophobic) but very exciting.
The rest of the day we sailed down river in our kayaks, although tiring we had the current on our side so we could take in the amazing scenery. Just before the end we stopped off at one of the tubing bars, taking it easier this time in hammocks, sipping at a few beers. Jim couldn't help himself and partook in some mud volley ball and then became addicted to the rope swing.
That evening we said farewell to Robin, but would meet again in Luangbrabang...

Lots of love, a partied out Jim and Carla.
x x x x x


Additional photos below
Photos: 42, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Free shots at tubingFree shots at tubing
Free shots at tubing

Only Robin was brave enough to drink
The 'men' with their painted nailsThe 'men' with their painted nails
The 'men' with their painted nails

It was your access to the slide
I'm alright, I'm alright!I'm alright, I'm alright!
I'm alright, I'm alright!

Carla surviving the slide of doom (in her words)
The mad dashThe mad dash
The mad dash

Returning the Tubes before 6pm to get back our deposit
Crossing the Bridge of DeathCrossing the Bridge of Death
Crossing the Bridge of Death

It's not really named that. :)
Crossing the rice fieldsCrossing the rice fields
Crossing the rice fields

Just after I slipped over, not for the last time!


Tot: 0.109s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 7; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0484s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb