Vang Vieng: Satans Armpit


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » West » Vang Vieng
March 20th 2010
Published: April 5th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Set within a spectacular limestone karst valley on the Nam Xong river, Vang Vieng should be the perfect rest stop from the backpacker trail through Laos, after countless hours spent on public transport and all of the stresses and excitement that comes with it…

It’s not.

Instead, Vang Vieng is perhaps the most repulsive, mind-numbing and tedious place that I have ever had the misfortune of going to… And I’ve been to Croyden!

Floating down the river in large tractor tubes, surrounded by grotesque “bucket bars” blasting misogamist Gangsta Rap from stereos with Amps the size of the sun, the once beautiful riverside setting is chocked by Chav boozers, sleazy sexual predators and pot heads, all of whom display the combined charisma of a Baked Potato.

I have a fairly liberal view on drugs and as far as I’m concerned if someone wants to mix marijuana, opium and mushrooms that’s fine by me…

But the incoherent, achingly cool, posturing, image conscious ”hippie” mantra that this crowd preaches (which inevitably ends with a charming extreme vomiting session or, even worse them trying to “connect” with you), reinforces my growing suspicion that those on the “Happy, saving the world on behalf of them who don't care” Backpacker trail, especially those in Vang Vieng , whilst by no means being bad people are unfortunately I’m afraid complete morons!

Laos is an absolutely glorious country: old fashioned, ethnically diverse and one of the few places that appears not much changed in the world…

If you visit Laos avoid Vang Vieng .

Because if this is progress then we are all surely well and truly f*cked!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 29; dbt: 0.025s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb