'Don't tell the parents'- we're 


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » West » Vang Vieng
February 16th 2010
Published: February 16th 2010
Edit Blog Post

The road to Vang Vieng from Luang Prabang was a rollercoaster with most of the Laos people being sick.  Luckily we had good company; "Professor KP"(70 year old who liked the feel of Rob's knee)and 2 Aussies, Matt and Ryan (the first 19 year olds we've met travelling so far)

Now...how to describe Vang Vieng?...Well the only sober memory is arriving that evening in a place full of westerners who temselves were full of alcohol and stinking of Lao Lao whiskey (around 80p a litre) They all wore the same tops, lying in the same bars, watching the same stuff (Family Guy and Friends) The "Mornings" (whichstart around 1pm in Vang Vieng)are no different appart from location; everyone moves to the river, lined with bars, swings, jumps and slides.  That's where the party really begins -tubing (in inflatable rings) from bar to bar (the majority all within the 1st 100m)where the swings and dance floors await your moves.  The phrase "I'm leaving tomorrow" is not one you'll often hear...and if you do hear it then don't believe it until you stop seeing them around.  So, understandabley, our planned two days turned into four.  However we had a good excuse (aside from the constant party)we bumped into Carl who had seperated from us to come here when we went to Luang Prabang...6 days ago!  We also became good friends with the Aussies and hope to see them in their home town...Melbourne.

We're now in Vientiane (Capital City)having made our journey the day before yesterday (14th) from Vang Vieng and spent valentines night in a very romantic location...not.  We cannot think of any comparission to make to higlight how horrid our room was.  So as we'dbeen told by many others; Vientiane did not make a good first impression.  However, yesterday we saw our favourite temple so far - Wat Sisaket (and bear in mind we've seen alot of temples already on this trip) with thousands of Bhuda statues.

Tonight we continue South to Pakse on a 12 hr sleeper bus.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0368s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb