Day 10 - Vang Vieng - Laos


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » West » Vang Vieng
October 22nd 2009
Published: October 24th 2009
Edit Blog Post

OopsOopsOops

Pepsi falling over after claiming he was fine. LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Day 10 - Vang Vieng
I started the day with some bacon and eggs while watching Family Guy. I am not joking but Family Guy and Friends are seriously the only two shows playing everywhere in town.

We did a half day caving tour today starting with Elephant cave. I have not been caving for many years so it was very interesting for me. It was a 25 min walk to Elephant cave from the drop off point with our tour guide Seng. It was a really hot day so I had to keep up the sun cream so I did not get burnt. Elephant cave got its name from a rock inside that looks like an Elephant (naturally formed and not carved).

It took us 20 mins to walk to the next pair of caves which were wet inside. We had to climb down into these caves and the floor was very slippery. Luckily I was wearing specialist caving gear - a pair of flip flops and a singlet. I had a few scary moments on the muddy ground (like somebody ice skating for the first time) but I did not fall over. Pepsi told the tour guide
The entrance to the caveThe entrance to the caveThe entrance to the cave

See where the rope leads? That is the entrance to the cave!!!
that he had superior stability and not to worry, no less than 30 seconds later he slipped over and landed flat on his backside :P LOL!!!!!!!!!!!! He fell over another 3 times during the day so his shorts had a huge brown skid mark on them.

The caves were so dark inside so we had to wear LED headlamps which looked like they came straight off ebay. I looked like I was a miner. There is no way this would be possible in Australia because of the safety issues. The floor was way too slippery, there were really tight squeezes between rocks and there were some huge holes in the ground that were not covered. We only went in a few hundred metres and there was no point going further as it was all the same. One of the caves was over 2 kms long and our guide told us a story of a tourist going in alone and getting lost. He was lost for 2 days and did not make it out alive so we thought it was a good idea to turn back before we went in too far.

The last cave was crazy. We had to go in via a tube on water. We floated through the cave on our tubes. At one point we got off and crawled about 20 metres on our hands and knees in the mud to get to the next part of the cave. Unfortunately we could not take our cameras in here because of the water.

At lunch we met a couple from Florida working on a cruise ship and some girls who were backpacking from England and Australia. We had planned to meet them all out tonight at a bar but we got lost a could not find the bar. haha. Pepsi's stomach was playing up again anyway.

Tomorrow we will catch a bus back to Vientiane and then a train to BKK.

Ripoff Tally - 7 - We are on a roll 😊


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Elephant CaveElephant Cave
Elephant Cave

Look carefully and u will see the elephant
Elephant Cave from a distanceElephant Cave from a distance
Elephant Cave from a distance

Have a look at how green everything is


25th October 2009

Stomachs and girls don't mix
You'll have to sort out Pepsi's stomach problem before you'll have any success :)

Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.056s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb