Vang Vieng and Vientiane


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » West » Vang Vieng
July 17th 2009
Published: July 19th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Vang Vieng



The last few days were spent in Vang Vieng. An 18 year olds Gap Year haven. A big drinking scene, with a street littered with bars and restaurants bizarrely showing repeats of Friends episodes all day long. Apart from the friends episodes it probably wasn't really our scene and we definitely felt a bit old and boring. Nevertheless by skirting off the beaten track and getting away from the town we managed to get up to a few exciting things.

On our first day there we went on bike trip around the surrounding area. Working our way through the local villages and through the rice paddies with limestone cliffs surrounding us was fabulous. There wasn't another tourist in sight!!! By getting off the beaten track we have so far had some of our best experiences and feel like we have gotten to see the real country. All the locals along the way waved at us and shouted Sabadee (hello). Laos is often referred to as the country of smiles and after our trip out to the countryside I can see why.

On Wednesday we decided to give the legendary Tubing a go. The idea is you float down the river in a rubber tube and stop at a few bars etc along the way. However, we didn't exactly do it the "legendary" way. We had read in the lonely planet that it was best to start early in order to give yourself time. However, by early they mean 1-2pm not 11am! We were the only ones on the river.

Our way probably suited us best though. We got to enjoy the scenery and relax along the river taking in some rays. We did stop at one bar and had a beer / cocktail. But clearly we weren't their usual clientele as they look a bit surprised when we didn't want drink after drink or when we became shocked at been presented with a menu of magic mushrooms, weed and opium tea. First and probably the last time I will be offered drugs!

After our civilized version of Tubing. I decided to take a walk to one of the local caves situated within the limestone cliffs. The views from it were amazing and the cave itself was a labyrinth of crooks and crannies. Fenella didn't want to go in so I ventured in on my own - a little bit scary being in a cave all by yourself but quite empowering.

Vang Vieng to Vientiane



Yesterday we decided it was time to leave Vang Vieng and continue our journey south to Vientiane, the capital city of Laos. Instead of taking the conventional bus trip there, I decided to opt for something a little bit more up my street - Kayaking!!

By far the best way to travel! It was great to be back in a Kayak again, paddling down the river. It reminded me of holidays in France Kayaking down the Joure etc. Despite facing some fairly big rapids and whirlpools that liked to spin your boat round I managed not to capsize!!! One of the highlights of the day was stopping on some rocks at the side of the river and having a BBQ. A nice change from rice and noodles.

Vientiane



After a day on the river I arrived in Vientiane last night! All in all I am not the biggest fan of Vientiane. It is just like any other capital city - noisy, busy and a far cry away from what we have observed so far of this beautiful country. Nevertheless, last night we had a lovely meal when me met up again with Fenellas friends Joules and Will. Sitting by the river eating traditional Lao cuisine (in my case Lap which is mince and salad, better than it sounds) whilst chatting was the perfect ending to a great day. We even got to witness a fabulous thunder storm from the safety of a roof top bar. The sky really did light up and the rain was some of the heaviest I have ever witnessed.

Today we had a bit of a non day. We were hoping to go to the near by national park and go trekking to see some wild elephants. However, the gods were against us and every corner we turned it appeared that this was going to be much harder to do than we had imagined. We have however vowed that we will find someway of doing it later on down the line. As a result we are now heading back on the road and taking the sleeper bus down to Pakse tonight. Pakse is in the south of Laos and is meant to be a beautiful region, so fingers crossed!!!

Lots of Love
Becky
xxx

p.s. sorry there is no pictures I am on a mac computer and have no idea how to upload them! Promise you will have some next time.



Advertisement



Tot: 0.201s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.1309s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb