Chill-out Town


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » West » Vang Vieng
January 4th 2006
Published: January 5th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Tiger at the waterfallTiger at the waterfallTiger at the waterfall

And there just had to be a sign saying "tigers bite, please refrain from poking your fingers through the fence".
We ended up catching up with Arno after we got a tuk tuk to the waterfalls. He was riding some of the way with one pedal but luckily some locals helped him out on the way to re-attach it. The big waterfall in Luang Probang is very beautiful but is crowded with tourists. Thinking that we'd be a bit different, we hiked to the very top and peered over (a daunting sight to say the least). After coming back down, we'd definitely earned a swim at the base of the waterfall, where the water is clear and fresh but extremely cold. Some of the boys (including a crazy Queenslander who was trying to climb up to the top) jumped off the rocks into the pool just below the waterfall, while i took some action shots. Around the area there are attractions such as a tiger and some bears (whose encosure is sponsered by free the bears, i found that quite amusing). That day we also booked a bus ticket for the morning of the 3rd to go to Vang Vieng (which is also known as chill-out town.

The bus was not very full, so i definitely recommend travelling in the
Milney making a jump for itMilney making a jump for itMilney making a jump for it

Us being typical Aussie louts at the waterfalls in Luang Probang.
morning and sitting on the right-hand (western) side of the bus to avoid the sun. Some of the views are spectacular, with big thick fog filling the valleys and huge mountains. Once we reached Vang Vieng, it was extremely hot, and we were tired of travelling (after having to stop off to change a tyre half-way through the trip). Make sure you account for things like this in your travel arrangements. We found a nice guest-house called amicable (although out the front it said bounthan - if anyone remembers that old joke). We got 2 rooms for $5 US which is astounding value, and the rooms were big and clean, with hot water. We went straight to one of many pubs/restaurants which have large cusions on the ground, and play western movies & tv shows (like friends). My first impression was this place was a bit too touristy for my liking. That night we checked out the local nightlife which was quite dismal, i think people tend to stick to their own groups, despite there being some awesome clubs right on the river.

The morning of the fourth (happy birthday sarah!) we got up really early to go tubing
View from the temple in L.PView from the temple in L.PView from the temple in L.P

We climbed up the temple steps at sundown to witness this spectular event. Unfortunately, every man and his dog had the same idea!
down the river. Again, this was quite empty of people but there was plenty of riverside bars that throw out ropes for you to catch and drag you in. We stopped at a place for some crazy jumping in the water action. By the end of the tubing section of the river I was extremely sick of bob marley (they seem to love him everywhere) and i was red like beetroot all over - the malaria tablets make you more vulnerable to sunlight. Me and arno decided to get on a bus that afternoon, which ended up being a 5 hour tuk tuk ride when the buses were all full. You can get a tuk tuk to the capital (Vientiane) for about $2 US each, although we were riding with what looked like policemen (all loaded with AK47's). It was kind of a good thing to have an armed escourt because route 13 (the highway) has been known to have lots of hijackings.

We arrived at the capital, only to realise that there was no night trains or buses across the border (like we had hoped). A tour bus went by which luckily had 2 empty seats because Vientiane
On the road againOn the road againOn the road again

The view from the bus, on our way to Van Vieng. Some of the best scenery that we've seen on this trip.
seemed extremely polluted and i wouldn't want to stay there overnight. The tour bus included a free dinner and an overnight journey to Bangkok for around $23 AUD, although the bus was extremely uncomfortable and the free meal made me throw up all night (proving there's no such thing as a free lunch). The journey was around 10-11 hours of sprinting from my seat to the bathroom, but we made it to Kao Sahn road about 5:30am. I booked into a pretty nice hotel, as i was (and are) still struggling, which has aircon and a private bathroom for about $14 AUD per night - unheard of for our trip. Arno's gone somewhere, not too sure where, but the six are all meeting up in Bagkok pretty soon.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Chill-out TownChill-out Town
Chill-out Town

Pretty large, and full of a lot of nutty characters, Van vieng seems like it's only going to get more touristy (judging by the amount of construction going on).


6th January 2006

hey matt
hey matt dont know your email address. me milne and alex. now known as the adventure squad are trapped in vientienne for the nite, dan's already on an overnight bus, we prolly see ya on the 8th.

Tot: 0.12s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.093s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb