Vang Vieng


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » West » Vang Vieng
October 15th 2008
Published: October 15th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Kayaking the Nam Song
After a very poor first night's sleep (thanks to the outside light not being able to stay on unless the fan turned off... not a chance!) and so then transfering to another, slightly more expensive, but inclusive of air-con, guesthouse, we set out for our daily tour - a kayaking / tubing / caving day trek.

After a short trip 20km north of the township, we all piled out of the open-aired taxi and hit the river... for about a 2 minute kayak to the other side of the shores where we left the vessels and walked a short distance to Elephant Cave - see photo...explains it all.

From there, we set off again for another short walk through rice fields to an underwater cave. Having to wait for the group ahead to get in and out, we were able to have a quick swim in the lagoon in front of the cave - very refreshing after our strenuous 20 minute walk!

So as the photos show, we were each in our own tube and so pulled ourselves along the rope into tunnels leading into a cave. Was very spectacular inside -

a little on the claustrophic side for me, especially as not everyone was blessed with their own headlight...ie not me! It was right up Dav's alley though - he absolutely loved it - so as i was one of the first back out, glad to be in the sunshine, Dav was one of the last out, saviuoring every last second in there!

From there we treked (walked?) back to there river shore where we were treated to some lovely lunch (more fried rice!) before heading back into the kayaks and paddling the 18km back into town. The scenery was just gorgeous! Unfortunately we didnt get many photos as it also bucketed down for a good half hour so getting the camera out of the dry bag was not really an option...

We went through the 'tubing' area (see below) and stopped at the last bar, where Dav had a go on the swing.. see photos. Me... i wasnt feeling like it that day....haha

And all done by 4.30pm... an excellent day in all - highly recommend it for those of you who might be passing through the Vang Vieng area..!

TUBING!


And the next day saw us hitting the Nam Song again, this time in a tube - probably the main reason why we decided to do the short swing by Laso in the first place!

Such a fantastic concept - genius! Involves hiring a tube, getting dropped 3km upstream and then gently meandering your way back down the river into town... Sounds like such a lovely idea anyway doesnt it? Imagine adding in about 10 riverside bars where you simply pull into (or get dragged into), 'park' your tube on the shores and head up for a drink or two, and perhaps a serving of adrenalin-pumping flying foxes or swings into the river!

We were luckily enought to meet some friendly Aussies, Rob and Sarah, on our first stop and they became our companions as we stumbled our way down the river... Again Dav was up for the flying foxes and swings and gave me the adrenalin rush just watching him!

So, some 6 hours later, we finally reached the end point... Such a fantastic day!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



19th October 2008

I'm sooooooo jealous!!!
You guys sound like you are having such a fantastic time!!!! I am so glad you are doing it, even if I'm a bit jealous that I didn't do anything like that when I was young. I can only hope my girls follow in their cousins' footsteps!! Stay safe and I love you both!!

Tot: 0.33s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0788s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb