Vang Vieng - Day 2


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » West » Vang Vieng
June 19th 2008
Published: June 27th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Unfortunately, it was raining again! At 11am we got up and prepared ourself in our tubing gear! First stop was the sandwich stall for a cheap baguette. As it was still quite early, we headed to the restaurant where we had spent the previous day for some pineapple shakes and to watch some more Friends.

Although it was still raining we headed for tubing around 1.30pm. We were both feeling rather apprehensive and although everyone we spoke to had said it was amazing, we didnt really know what to expect! The concept is rather simple; you hire the inner tubing of an old tractor wheel and use it to float down a 4km stretch of the Mekong River frequenting at bars and enjoying the different swings into the water. An interesting idea which we now realise it very dangerous although totally addictive!

Since it was raining the number of people tubing was relatively low compared to normal! However, we met some Canadian guys who were happy to show us the hot spots and good places to go! First bar was approximately 50 metres along the river where ice cold beers were quickly consumed and we went on what turned
Big Big Swing!!Big Big Swing!!Big Big Swing!!

It really is as high as it looks!
out to be the biggest and probably most dangerous rope swing - some more successful than others!

Five bars later and a large amount of free local whiskey shots, known as Lao Lao, which constitutes whiskey mixed with various other things, we were incredibly wet, muddy and a little tipsy! We eventually made it back to town just before dark and no longer together. As luck would have it as i was floating down the last stretch of river when i found Ollie looking rather cold clutching for what appeared to be his life in some branches at the side of the water. Now back together, we floated back with a few others and finally got back to dry land.

In the evening, we were both pretty tired and had a few chilled out hours in front of the TV with a couple of drinks. The first day of tubing had been a great success but we were ready for an early night!


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.125s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 41; dbt: 0.082s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb