KHOB CHAI


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » West » Vang Vieng
January 13th 2008
Published: January 13th 2008
Edit Blog Post

HI and hello, we are in an internet cafe in Vang Vieng and we have just had a lunch that went wrong a lot in a restaurant place (actually it was all Rosie's wrongness, she ordered the wrong things for herself including A CUP OF TEA which made her vomit nearly but I had most of that, and then I gave her my bite cream which exploded in the salad because I took it on the plane, and then she had her malaria pill in the lid of a bottle which had a massive hole so it poured all over the salad and my mango fruit shake and something else. YES mango is nice, and there are loads of fruit shakes here which are lovely and they ony cost about 40p which makes them even nicer. Actually the food is very pleasing and I have had about 6 meals a day because it is so cheap as well.
We are in Vang Vieng at the moment which is probably the prettiest place ever invented. This morning we went wondering around after buying our bus tickets back to Vientiane for tomorrow (which cost 50,000 kip but that's only about 2 pounds fifty and it takes 4 hours) and we went across this wooden bridge over the Namsong river and decided to turn off down a wooden ladder thing because there was a man on a bike behind us and he was in a hurry, so anyway we went down there and then it was the most AMAZING river side thing with wooden huts and hammocks all along it, and it was completely deserted so we sat in hammocks and took pictures of all the people bathing in the river. There are lots of nobbly mountains and big trees with leaves bigger than a whale's face and it is realllly hot, and I am really sticky from the various repellents and body wipe things and sweat but I actually smell really nice, I don't know how that happened, but my shoulders especially smell really comforting.
I'm now going to write in all the things that I've been writing in my book which is not a diary, so you can see a running story of what has been done. I will put the date as well to be super-helpful...

5pm on Thursday the 10th

Pasta count in Rosie's minestrone - 3. I have a massive plate of horrible cheese from the Italian cafe in Heathrow airport and it cost 5 pounds. Macy Gray and All Saints are on the radio and we were discussing Luke Benson's music taste when a really funny moment happened - me and Rosie dribbled simultaneously (mine with cheese and hers with soup) and I dropped my knife for the second time. You really had to be there, it was hilarious.
Pasta count - 5 haaaa (scribbley things) we are very hyper and excited indeed.

About 2am British time 11th Jan

We are on the plane and have just been brought a midnight feast GOD it was nice, I got mine first because it was a special veggie one, and it was huge and lovely. Rosie has been asleep approximately 1 second after take off so she's missed the meal, she's 2 rows behind me and I'm sat next to a massive Thai man who is snoring next to me and his legs are way over my line of territory. I am really excited, yesterday was a bit crappy with waiting and things but now I don't even care if the plane crashes and dies, I'm that happy. Nearly

5.30pm BANGKOK TIME FRIDAY

We are in Thailand HA it is strange and I can't make it sink in, I can just about convince myself that we are in Germany or something (not that it looks like anywhere like Germany). We are in the airport and it's like a big space station and we are now waiting for the plane (which is going to be really scary because it's a small one so it's more likely to fall out of the sky, I think.) Breakfast this morning was nice but Rosie slept through it as well so we are now both hungry because we have now jumped forward loads of hours, so we might share the smuggled Hula Hoops soon.

9.30pm 12th of Jan

AHH HOOHA we are in the most amazing cabin hut thing in a guest house in Vang Vieng, which has woven walls and mosquito nets and it is REALLY tropical and muggy and there are loads of trees and buzzing things. We got to Laos yesterday at about 9pm but had to queue in the world's slowest queue for a visa, and then we didn't have any dollars to pay for it so had to be escorted around a lot and then there was a lot of faffing but eventually we got to Ruth (and I recognised her!) and she took us straight home on a tuk tuk which was the most fun thing ever. I can't describe them very well but they are what a quad bike motor thing with a trailer with benches and a roof would look like, and they have pink petrol. Actually that might not be that interesting, what colour is petrol normally? But yes, it was like watching a film, we were going really fast past all these dark streets which weren't lit but all the cafes and shops were lit from the inside and everyone was sat outside drinking and talking, and we kept going past temples and huts and REALLY DIFFERENT THINGS THAT I HADN'T SEEN BEFORE basically. Also they drive through red lights a lot and have tiny children on the back of scooters. Anyway we got back to Ruth's at about midnight and met her maintenance boy/night guard called Joy and her French housemate Sabine, and then we had something to eat that her servant had made especially and it was very nice. Her house is sooo amazingly lovely, and it has such a nice garden as well, and the inside has a floor that doesn't make a sticky noise when you walk across it in barefoot. It was really late by the time we got to bed and I suddenly got scared and made the mistake of going on Facebook where I saw an annoying thing and it all got a bit scary and sad because we realised the only way we could get back was by getting ourselves to New York in 2 months. Anyway we went to bed and the mattresses were nice. We got up early and got a tuk tuk to the centre of town.. I didn't see before but Ruth lives in a really rural bit, and it literally looks like an Oxfam advert. That is probably the most stupid description, but it's like a long dirt track with loads of goats and cows and kids carrying buckets on long sticks and those really long giant wooden wheelbarrow things. We (me Ruth and Rosie this is) got a variety of buses and set off for Vang Vieng and half way had to stop because there had been an accident where a bus like ours had crashed into a truck, so the road was blocked both ways and it took a while to clear, but I don't think anyone died.. We got to Vang Vieng quite late and met Ginny (Ruth's friend) who was very nice and we got a landrover to the guest house we were staying (me and Rosie got to sit in the boot) after having lunch in the same cafe that we went to today. It really is insanely beautiful and I can't describe it with words which is frustrating.. We went for a walk by the river and saw the sun set over the mountains and then had dinner and a really nice tail-less kitten came to sit on mine and Ruth's laps! It probably had rabies but it was so nice and friendly and liked my camera. Tomorrow is our first day alone (Ginny and Ruth are going back to Vientiane leaving me and Rosie to it) so we shall see how we cope. Everyone else is asleep now so I wil go and turn the lights off.

RIGHT NOW TIME in the internet cafe

We are coping just fine actually so HA to all you people who said we couldnt organise ourselves (Mr Maxwell, Sally, Shakey and whoever else said we couldn't arrange a bus to Bow). Anyway it is now getting quite late so we must find a tuk tuk or minibus to our place before it gets dark so we can go and swim in the river. Hope you are all having fun in the rain!



Advertisement



13th January 2008

COmmenting you
This all sounds very fun and amazing and... mum has interupted my typing and she says please take lots of photos to show us and it is raining here all of the time and horrible ... different. can you upload any picctures onto this i would very much like to see what you are doing because mostr of the time your describing words are great and amazing and lol i dont know what great and amaizng looks like :) i have dark cyber purple hair which isnt nearly as interesting as what you are diong but i thought i better tell you what is happening in kiddicott. i played with squeak today and she farted lots and ate a biscuit off my face, and i set up some cushions for her to jump around on and i taught her to sit and lie down and she did! OMG DAD BOOKED A TRIP TO NEW YORK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOW. I AM USUALLY NOT FOND OF EXCLAMATION MARKS BEING USED LIKE THAT BUT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BAAAAH. Bye sis our roast dinner is ready soon because it is a sunday and it's just what we do on sundays innit. xxxxxxxxx
13th January 2008

boo
glad you are having fun!! (Mr Maxwell would never say such things!) Rosie i hope you didnt sleep through plane breakfast, they are one of the best things ever!!!
13th January 2008

Wow!
Hiya girls I'm very glad everything is going so well. I was sure that you would find Laos very beautiful and so different from grey old England. It is raining here all the time, and the sky is grey and everything is wet and horrid. I hope you are taking lots of photos for us to enjoy - it would be nice to see some colour as we are all washed out and GREY here. Lot of love, Mum xxxx (Mummy Sarah, that is )
13th January 2008

Hi Rosie and Zany Friend! Loved reading all your descriptions etc. Didn't doubt for one moment that everything would fall into place. Enjoy it to the full which means not necessarily sitting in internet cafes keeping in touch with the folks back home. Just noticed Zany friend's name is Sarah. Have a wonderful,wonderful time you lucky pair!! Lots of love Helen and Tom
7th February 2008

To the joyful travellers
Hi to you both..have just been given your details from Veronica and been reading about your exploits..cheered me up no end..isn't travelling around such incredible fun..and great that you have company to share all the ups and downs with!I am new to all this modern technology(forgive me for I know not what I do....being a dinosaur!!)but will try my best...just wanted to say hullo justnow..have to do tons of odd jobs today so rushing a bit...will contact you again when not so rushed.Hope you are feeling better now Sarah?Take care...JA.x

Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0354s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb