Tubing!


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » West » Vang Vieng
June 17th 2007
Published: June 17th 2007
Edit Blog Post

RECOVEREDRECOVEREDRECOVERED

on tube
This is by far the greatest thing I have done since being away!

I am seriously considering introducing this activity to England.

Its simply a rubber ring that you lie on in a fast flowing river, and every so often down the river there are bars which you are pulled into by overstretched sticks. You get out, have a free shot of Lao whiskey (which is very mind numbingly strong) purchase a beer Lao and you can either sit and chat to your neighbours or test your wits and climb up a 30ft high bamboo mounted levelling and swing off a rope (attempt to do summersaults if you can) into the water. You have to get the positioning right though, coz if you land wrong the water can give your body a good slapping!

We did this with about 10 other people we met through the slow boat, it was Nina's birthday, one of the Irish girls, so we were celebrating quite hard. I went on pretty much all of the swings, so much fun, amazing what a bit of dutch courage can do to your senses! The sun was shining, everyone was happy there was such a great atmosphere amongst us all.

Jamie had a camera that was waterproof, so tried to film himself swinging by pointing the camera at himself as he dropped only he was so busy filming himself that he landed slap on the back! ouch, had a big red mark there all day, lol!

We found a secluded cave along the river which I reckon your not really supposed to go into, but we did, it was so beautiful in the torch light. It was a bit rocky though and I lost one of my croc shoes in a mini waterfall, most upset.

We were supposed to be back with our rings at 6pm, but because of our detour and celebratary drinking we didnt get back till 9pm, it was pitch black, we were drunk as skunk and drifted merrily down the river without a care in the world. We came to a muddy bank - which one of us claimed to be the final stop so we all made our best effort to scramble up it, sliding down to the bottom on many occasions! We must have been hilarios to watch climbing up with our rings!

The next day I swore to myself I wasnt drinking again and went to the breakfast table determined not to give in to the peer pressure. For some reason, as rotten as we all felt, we loved the experience so much that we all talked ourslves into doing it all again!




Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement



19th July 2007

about time!
hey guys, ya finally got another blog done, it's only taken ya like 6 weeks or so! the waterfalls in luang prabang are gorgeous huh?! good to see you're both having a blast still. where to next?
19th July 2007

You be careful!
Looks stunning, you seem to be having an amazing time. Being 'drunk as a skunk' (I didn't know skunk's drunk) and drifting down the river sounds a bit dangerous though, be careful! mx

Tot: 0.133s; Tpl: 0.022s; cc: 6; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0919s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb